Hi from a rookie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

englishsmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 5, 2021
Hi all. Just registered here, Hoping/needing to learn a lot. I have a Traeger Ironwood 650 I'm learning on, with mostly just my wife and I. We have family reasonably close, and I'm planning to use them as guinea pigs as the learning progresses. I'm not someone who grew up around grills/smokers, but have been the beneficiary many times, and decided to take the plunge. I'm in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I'll be poking around here a while to learn. All I've done so far ae some burgers after the 'seasoning' routine was run on the grill, and they were among the best I've had, if I do say so myself, so more to come....

Welcome from Colorado.
Before you get too deep into all of this, buy a multi probe thermometer like from Inkbird. You need reliable temperature tracking of the grill surface as well as internal on meat. Do not trust the digital readout on the smoker,, they lie, sometimes a lot.

Welcome from Colorado.
Before you get too deep into all of this, buy a multi probe thermometer like from Inkbird. You need reliable temperature tracking of the grill surface as well as internal on meat. Do not trust the digital readout on the smoker,, they lie, sometimes a lot.
Thanks, I’ve picked up on that already, but not researched too much. The grill came with a probe, and I did the ice water calibration this morning. As with anything, opinions on what’s needed are likely all over the map. So, a single unit with multiple probes to measure both food temp and actual cooking temp is what’s required?

I'd also recommend getting the pink butcher paper for wrapping.
I used to wrap with foil, but I was stunned at the difference I got when I switched to the pink butcher paper. The flavor and texture is so much better.
I'll never go back.

You can find it online for around $20-25 for a nice big roll in the box with the cutter (like the tin foil box has for cutting).

Thanks, I’ve picked up on that already, but not researched too much. The grill came with a probe, and I did the ice water calibration this morning. As with anything, opinions on what’s needed are likely all over the map. So, a single unit with multiple probes to measure both food temp and actual cooking temp is what’s required?
Correct.

I'd also recommend getting the pink butcher paper for wrapping.
I used to wrap with foil, but I was stunned at the difference I got when I switched to the pink butcher paper. The flavor and texture is so much better.
I'll never go back.

You can find it online for around $20-25 for a nice big roll in the box with the cutter (like the tin foil box has for cutting).
Interesting, thanks!

You'll like it I just left mine on for 26 hours and still had 51% battery
Got it today. I hate instructions badly translated from Chinese:) Anyway, I have 4 probes, one is obviously for the smoker temp. And I see the ‘clips’ probably to hold it in place. Does it make any difference where I ‘aim’ the probe inside the smoker? Top/bottom/front/back?
Planning first ‘real’ smoke for Saturday. I have a tri-tip and sirloin roast on stand-by :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky