here we go, wish me luck

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by rbacci, Feb 5, 2015.

1. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Well, my bellies have cured for 2 weeks in Pop's brine and I just took them out. I did a test fry and the salt level is perfect. They are in the fridge drying out and tomorrow they go into my MES. I'm going to use a mix of Hickory and Cherry pellets in the Amazen. I plan on setting the temp at 100 for the first 4 hours then bringing it up to 118 for another 4 hours. If I'm on the wrong path please speak up and share your experience and wisdom. Fingers crossed. 

2. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I hope you have another probe to monitor the CC mine was 40* off to the plus 100 = 140

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Sounds like a good plan!!

I'm curious where you came up with the number 118°.

Here's my best one, and it has my smoking schedule in it:

Step by Step:

Bacon (Extra Smoky)

Bear

4. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

With the weather in the Midwest lately, that should be fine and be able to keep the smoker temp above 70. I am curious about the reason you are bumping the temp up?...JJ

5. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Well that's where I'm not sure, I read a few guys have done that and it worked for them. If you think I should leave it a 100 I'll give that a try. Like I said, I'm looking for sage advice. 

6. bearcarver

I gave you my Step by Step above. Between 100° and 130° works best for me, but if you just want to use one temp, I would forget 100° and go right to 120° and leave it there. The ones I've done at 100° weren't near as good as ones I did at 120°.

At 120° it should be good in 10 to 12 hours of smoking.

If you cold smoke (below 100°) it would take at least twice that long to get the same color & flavor. IMHO

Bear

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Bear I'll give your method a shot. By the way, great looking bacon, my stomach started growling when I was looking at your picks. 

8. Got My Pork Belly today, I'll be watching

Gary

9. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Well 1 row of the AMNPS is ash and it's still smoking well. So far everything is looking good. In fact, I ran over to the local butcher to order 2 more bellies. [​IMG]  I think I may have created a monster. I was just on Amazon looking at meat slicers.

10. Where's the pictures!!! I've only got about 3 lbs left in the freezer....looks like I'll be heading to the market this weekend too!

11. bearcarver

Oh No!!!

Don't tell me you're hooked already, and your first Bacon isn't even done yet !!![​IMG]

Bear

12. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Sad isn't it. I do love bacon and it kills me to pay the store prices. There is something so alluring and primevil with making your own bacon. I already told the missus that we're having bacon and eggs on Sunday morning.

13. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

3 hours down 9 to go.

14. Looking good,  I removed to skin on my belly, cut it into several pieces, rubbed it with TQ and brown sugar and is now resting in the fridge

Gary

15. bearcarver

Looks good, Rbacci !!!

Here's another tip for you:  You don't have to flip the pieces over in the smoker. The heat & smoke come from all directions.

Bear

16. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Bear, that much I do know but thank you anyway.

17. bearcarver

OK, Good---I just figured in case you or anyone else didn't know that, I'd mention it.

If everybody knows it already, it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Bear

18. rbacci

rbacci Fire Starter

Just pulled them out, beautiful color and smell. I've wrapped them up and will let them sit until Sunday. OK. I'll admit it I couldn't wait and test fried a couple of pieces. WAY WAY better than store bought. YUM

19. bearcarver

That's Great !!![​IMG]

It'll get even better!![​IMG]

I think everybody steals a slice or two before the wait----I know I do!![​IMG]

Bear

20. Man that looks great, Can't wait to smoke mine

Gary