Advice: Go Big or Go Home??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevinwi

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 8, 2014
Stevens Point, WI
Ok.....so 9 years ago I purchased a 36 stretch runabout from Lang..... I loved my pit...loved it....
Now, a caveat is that more often than not, it's just me I'm cooking for....I'll do a cook, share a bit with neighbors and eat the rest....mainly my cooker was more empty than full....
that said, on occasion I would trailer my pit to a relative to do a HS graduation, or their party or even a club event....when I did those, I felt my pit was a bit taxed...I got it done, but it was stressful trying to cook so much meat at one time....
I sold my pit about 4 years ago...and it broke my heart...had to financially....

So now I'm in position to replace it..... I ordered a 48" deluxe.......but flashes of "needing a bigger pit at times" is bugging me. A 48 is not much bigger than a 36 stretch...plus I'm thinking I'm getting close to retirement and doing a weekend BBQ side gig on a weekend is a good way to make a few $$.
So my seeking your input is this: Now is the time....should I call Ben and change to the 60 deluxe for $2k more now or just get the 48D and live with it? It is not easy to justify the xtra $$ at the moment but it's not like I can't.
Also, I don't know what small cooks will be like on a 60D?
They haven't shipped it, and it's not custom, so I'm sure Ben would let me upgrade, but I want your opinion.

Reactions: JLinza
If you at all playing with the idea of side gigs, then yes get the 60. The 48 is more practical for most weekends, but if you have extra space you may also find a use for it. Cooking small in a big cooker is not a problem, but cooking big in a small cooker is and can be a real hassle, even a nightmare. Go bigger is my vote.

Reactions: JLinza and kevinwi
If you at all playing with the idea of side gigs, then yes get the 60. The 48 is more practical for most weekends, but if you have extra space you may also find a use for it. Cooking small in a big cooker is not a problem, but cooking big in a small cooker is and can be a real hassle, even a nightmare. Go bigger is my vote.
oh yeah...I have the space.... it has it's own smoke shed. I just wish it wasn't such a significant price point jump to go bigger.
IMG_20171024_133103982_HDR.jpg

oh yeah...I have the space.... it has it's own smoke shed. I just wish it wasn't such a significant price point jump to go bigger.View attachment 691462
I hear you. You can definitely make the 48 work. Don’t feel pressured at all, it sometimes takes some creativity and the use of the kitchen oven, but you can always successfully finish a cook. But if you can at all swing it, I’d buy as big as you can afford. That said, absolutely no shame in a 48. Damn good cooker.

I just passed up a Lang 36” patio for $550 bucks, was about 5 hours from me but daaahm! That was cheap. Trouble was the 36 did me no good, to small for sure. Be smart as you go forward.

Reactions: JLinza and kevinwi
Small cooks will be fine on a 60. I do them often on my 84. If you can swing the dollars I'd go for the 60. Never hurts having extra room
I am going to guess the fuel use is more on a larger cooker especially for smaller cooks.

Not that I can afford it right now 😂 but you will never regret having too much extra space. Will use a little more fuel. But I learned when I bought my first smoker , it was in a different league (MES30) that I should have got the MES40. Do you have a Weber kettle? That could be a cheap option to throw in the collection for when you do smaller cooks/smokes too!

Not that I can afford it right now 😂 but you will never regret having too much extra space. Will use a little more fuel. But I learned when I bought my first smoker , it was in a different league (MES30) that I should have got the MES40. Do you have a Weber kettle? That could be a cheap option to throw in the collection for when you do smaller cooks/smokes too!
yes...have a weber 22 and a pitboss griddle.

IMG_8265.jpeg
The chamber length of the 60 and the 36 stretch are the same. The difference is the 60 has a 24 inch diameter compared to the 20 on the 36 stretch.
The 48 is. Nice and has the 24 inch diameter but lenght is shorter. My son had the 48. I have the 60 deluxe and it is the smaller of what I call the Jakes.
It’s just the wife and I at home. The 60 cooks small just fine and will require the same amount of wood the 48 uses to heat up etc. 3 racks of ribs on the 60. It is nice for parties and ribs, chicken etc as they take up real estate. Now big Jake does good on small cooks too lol.

IMG_9623.jpeg

Here is a pic of the 48 with a load of bread and a few wings. My son was cooking
IMG_8263.png
i originally ordered a 48 and changed after laying the grill space out on a table and seeing the difference.
IMG_8265.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm in the bigger is better most of the time. The 60 will use more wood than the 48 if your buying wood that should be thought about. It shouldn't be a lot more but if your paying a high price for the wood it could make a difference.

Reactions: kevinwi
I'm in the bigger is better most of the time. The 60 will use more wood than the 48 if your buying wood that should be thought about. It shouldn't be a lot more but if your paying a high price for the wood it could make a difference.
wood is fairly cheap where I live.

Then I'd say go for the 60 or 84 lol. I don't think I've ever heard a member who has smoked a while say "I wish I had bought a smaller smoker"

Good morning Kevin!

I'm like all the other enablers here - I'd counsel going bigger! But it's easy to spend somebody else's money...

If I were making this decision, for myself and with my own money, it'd be hard for me to justify the extra $2k for a larger pit if I was only gonna be cooking for myself most of the time. If you know for sure you'll use the extra space for catering and/or weekend side gigs, then maybe it makes sense...but that's a lot of money. If you can afford it, however, you'll probably never regret getting the bigger one.

If you're like me, money doesn't fall out of trees...so spending an extra couple grand is not a light decision to make.

But whatever you decide...Your Getting A New Lang!!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Please keep us informed!
Red

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky