Cool Weather Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BigW.

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 13, 2019
Nebraska
With the temps being colder and bacon running low it is time to to smoke. Half bellies were on sale so I picked up two to cure for 15 days in the fridge. Cured using diggingdogs calculator. Weds was night one to begin smoking. Realized I did not have much dust so needed to make more. So I got a small bucket of hickory Lumber Jack and added some water. Drained and on to the grill so the house does not smell.
pellets.jpg dust.jpg
Forgot how much it expanded and brought out a second tray to help with drying. After it was dry, I had a 2 gallon zip lock. Plenty to last thru the winter. Here is how I cold smoke on GMG. Tray full of dust, no power. I refilled the tray before bed and let a single fuse go all night.

dust 2.jpg
bag.jpg
smoker.jpg

I have cold smoked in my kettle, pellet pooper and Big Chief all without added heat outside of the pellet tube. All fine vessels
My last bacon cold smoke was in the Big Chief so I could hang the slabs.
I tried to use a tube half filled with dust, but couldn't keep it lit. Ended up with 3 rounds of pellets in tube.

Looking good! One of the best things about the cooler weather coming!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky