here we go, wish me luck

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Does dry curing result in a more tender bacon?
I don't know.

I like the Dry Cured with TQ flavor better, but I don't know about the tenderness.

I know a few years ago the cutting direction/tenderness of Bacon was asked & knowledgeable veterans said it didn't matter, and I fully agree.

Bear

No, I cut it cross grain. I'm well versed in the kitchen and have been cutting meats for years.

Let me ask another question, how thick do you slice your bacon? I was staying under an 1/8" but it's tough to do slicing free hand. I threw it in the freezer and that did help.

Let me ask another question, how thick do you slice your bacon? I was staying under an 1/8" but it's tough to do slicing free hand. I threw it in the freezer and that did help.
I never tried slicing free hand. If I did it would be all different ugly thicknesses.

I slice mine on my slicer at about 3/32".

I freeze it for 4 hours just before slicing-----Really helps.

Bear

Well today i try round 2. Picked up 20lbs of bellies yesterday. This brine will get half the sugar in it. I think this will turn out better, these bellies are larger and thicker and a better fat to lean ratio. My last batch was too lean in my opinion. 

I freeze it for 4 hours just before slicing-----Really helps.

Bear
It helps when slicing manually also. A long sharp blade does also.

Slicing by hand will never be as thin or exact as a slicer but thats why in them olden days, way back when, the slices were thicker. I am sure Bear remembers slicing the bacon out next to the covered wagon using a campfire for light.

Its why the artisan bacon in the deli is near always thick sliced.

It helps when slicing manually also. A long sharp blade does also.

Slicing by hand will never be as thin or exact as a slicer but thats why in them olden days, way back when, the slices were thicker. I am sure Bear remembers slicing the bacon out next to the covered wagon using a campfire for light.

Its why the artisan bacon in the deli is near always thick sliced.
That hadn't invented Campfires yet in my day!!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky