Help save Christmas-Prime Rib Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jlh4480

Original poster
Dec 23, 2019
All,

For Christmas this year I'm smoking a prime rib for my family. I've smoked a few prime ribs and I usually go to my butcher and he sells me "Choice Angus Beef Bnls Ribeye Steak".

Today a different butcher, but same store, sold me a "Semi-Boneless Rib Roast Small End USDA Choice". I'm not familiar with the differences and the butcher counter was mobbed so I didn't wait around to ask.

I don't understand the differences in the two cuts (I just started smoking meat in August) and am worried about the boneless rib roast. Can anyone help me with the differences? Should I be concerned the rib roast won't taste as good as the boneless ribeye steak typically does?

Thank you for the taking the time to read/respond.

Unwrap it and see what you've got, ain't gonna go bad in the fridge by now. I get semi-boneless leg-o/lambs and there's never a bone to be found, still trying to figure that out. Steaks are cut from the roast, boneless or not, so it sounds like you have a whole roast to work with. A lot of times the rib bones will be backed off of the prime and attached with string by the butcher, that's what might be they are trying to refer to as boneless. It's the Xmas season, unwrap the package! RAY

Always ask the meat guy when you have questions. You are spending a lot of money, ask your questions.

Small end refers to the ribs farther from the shoulder. Less work, the more tender the meat, generally speaking.

Boneless means just what it says, semi-bone in means you are paying for waste. But the bones are easy to remove. They add nothing to the flavor when cooking but sure look sweet when Frenched.

Choice is USDA grading. Choice is in the middle of select and prime.

Angus means nothing. It is a rating you can buy, much like the BBB.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Angus is the type of live beef that it is from and thats it, it has nothing to do with the grade of meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky