Having to re-learn the same lesson 'cause of CRS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Somehow last week the mind went dark and I found myself out to dinner with the wife at the local Outback. Well, after one bite of a perfectly cooked med-rare ribeye it all came back to me. So much salt and pepper on it, not to mention it was swimming in butter/oil, you couldn't even taste the meat. Being hungry I got through half of it but then quit. Thank goodness for the potato, salad and the glass of wine.

Fast forward to last night. Wife was out with her friend tending to their horses and I was left to fend dinner for myself. Wanting to erase the bad memory of the previous steak, I fired up the grill. A very nice ribeye seasoned 'properly' and grilled to med-rare. A side of thick sliced mushrooms sautéed then finish in red wine and a salad with homemade french dressing and blue cheese. Of course a good Michael David Cabernet. That was how a dinner should taste. Mental double note to self: never go to Outback for steak!

Oh, and the plate shot:
IMG_0134.JPG

You know, I got started smoking meats and cooking as a COVID hobby when everything shut down. You guys have about totally ruined me on eating out. The skills I have developed from learning from y'all has really elevated my cooking. And now when I go out i'm thinking.."I could do better and cheaper at home!"
Now onto your plate.....That I would pay top dollar for! Great looking meal!

Jim

Nice! I am familar with the Michael David operation, I believe it started as a fruit stand! the newer generation have really run with that ball.

Reactions: schlotz
Looks like a delicious meal! Way better than your last one!

Ryan

You know, I got started smoking meats and cooking as a COVID hobby when everything shut down. You guys have about totally ruined me on eating out. The skills I have developed from learning from y'all has really elevated my cooking. And now when I go out i'm thinking.."I could do better and cheaper at home!"
Now onto your plate.....That I would pay top dollar for! Great looking meal!

Jim
Yup, one can usually do a whole lot better themself vs going out. Plus it's a lot cheaper!

Nice! I am familar with the Michael David operation, I believe it started as a fruit stand! the newer generation have really run with that ball.
Didn't know they started with a fruit stand before going into wine making.

Looks like a delicious meal! Way better than your last one!

Ryan
Boy for sure it was better, Ryan!

Looks great
Thanks Jim

Perfect meal. Nicely done!
Hey Keith, yup simple things done simply with a bit of TLC. Thanks for stopping by!

Looks fantastic! The better cooking skills get at home the harder it is to be satisfied in restaurants for sure. Especially true in the chains.
It's rare that we frequent chains, honestly don't know why we even went there. Like I said, it's being old with a bad case of CRS! Our best meals always come from our own hands. Thanks for the kind words Jeff!

Really nice looking meal!

Restaurants in general can't compete unless they're specializing in something I've little to no experience in.
Not only is my homecooking better, it's less expensive too.
Right there with ya John!

Looks awesome and I know it tasted a whole lot better than Outback. I don't think I've been into an Outback for around 15 years and no plans to go to one.

The entire meal looks great and those mushrooms......
Thanks Ron! Mushrooms are simple, cut thick, saute in light olive oil and when somewhat browned add the cabernet. Let it bubble off then turn off the heat. Perfect every time.

S, Fine looking plate right there !
Thanks, and it doesn't take long to make either. Steak was approx 8 min. Started the mushrooms a few minutes before the steaks.

Looks awesome and I know it tasted a whole lot better than Outback. I don't think I've been into an Outback for around 15 years and no plans to go to one.
That was my plan too Jerry, but my CRS got in the way!

Reactions: ron50
I generally don't get steak at the chain restaraunts for the very reasons you mentioned,over spiced and swimming in oil and butter.

Your meal looks great Matt , but it always does .
I've never been a fan of Outback .
Thank you Rich for the kind words. Outback is definitely on my do not frequent list. Now where did I put that list? :emoji_laughing:

I generally don't get steak at the chain restaraunts for the very reasons you mentioned,over spiced and swimming in oil and butter.
Most definitely! Thanks for checking in.

Looks way better than a restaurant. I don’t know the last time I ordered a steak from a restaurant. Usually when the wife wants to go out to eat I end up getting either a quesadilla or chicken fingers and fries haha

Somehow last week the mind went dark and I found myself out to dinner with the wife at the local Outback. Well, after one bite of a perfectly cooked med-rare ribeye it all came back to me. So much salt and pepper on it, not to mention it was swimming in butter/oil, you couldn't even taste the meat. Being hungry I got through half of it but then quit. Thank goodness for the potato, salad and the glass of wine.

Fast forward to last night. Wife was out with her friend tending to their horses and I was left to fend dinner for myself. Wanting to erase the bad memory of the previous steak, I fired up the grill. A very nice ribeye seasoned 'properly' and grilled to med-rare. A side of thick sliced mushrooms sautéed then finish in red wine and a salad with homemade french dressing and blue cheese. Of course a good Michael David Cabernet. That was how a dinner should taste. Mental double note to self: never go to Outback for steak!

Oh, and the plate shot:
View attachment 687517
What a meal!!!
I go to Outback once a year, my wife gets gift cards from her work so it's free.
I order my ribeye exactly like this, "med rare, half the seasoning and no butter bath". It drives my wife crazy, and the food server always gives me a funny look, it actually tastes like steak, if it comes out as ordered I'll leave an extra $5 or $10 depending on how we were treated.

But I much rather she got gift cards to your house, that looks absolutely KILL'ER!!!

I do have a question for you though, what's in the Ball Jar?
I keep pepper vinegar in an old Blanton's bottle on our table, and was curious as too what you have there.

Great meal, I love the shrooms with steak and the blue cheese out the grass, nice touch!!!

Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky