Habanero Sake Wings with Ranch Tots

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kilo charlie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 25, 2017
Iowa
20210616_180003.jpg

20210616_180026.jpg

Put some chicken wings in a glass bowl with 4 cut up habaneros and covered all with 1 and 1/2 cups of Sake and let soak for like 4 hours.

20210616_143857.jpg

Put some frozen tater tots in a gallon zip lock bag and about a tablespoons of oil along with a tablespoon of my homemade Ranch Seasoning and coated the tots. Put them on a piece of oiled tinfoil.

20210616_171403.jpg

A second piece of tinfoil over the top and the edges folded over to create a pouch.

20210616_171517.jpg

The wings were drained and patted dry with paper towels then seasoned with fresh ground pepper and black salt.

20210616_172749.jpg

The foil packet was put on 10 minutes ahead of the wings on the grill and went for a total of 30 minutes and the wings went 20 min total.

The habaneros did not shine through as much as I had envisioned... so I guess back to the drawing board on adding some super spice to the inside of the wings. As if I needed another reason to make more chicken wings!

Some great ideas there. Big like.

Have you thought of injecting the wings to get the heat inside?

Thank you!

Oh yea.. I've injected wings before. I took me a long time to get that crispy skin that the Sake provides so now I'm trying to warm that up a bit while keeping the skin crispy.

Maybe if you put the habanero in the sake overnight then marinate. Nice simple recipe I may have to try it this weekend.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Cool! I look forward to the posts and stealing borrowing your sake idea.
Haha it's actually super simple and I don't mind sharing...

The original recipe is soak the wings in Sake anywhere from 30 minutes to overnight. Pat them dry with paper towels and salt and pepper - They're actually called Teba Shio or Salted Chicken Wings - It's a Japanese recipe I found here .

The original recipe is to broil them for 10 minutes skin side down then 10 more minutes skin side up.

I have done them that way many times as well as in the air fryer at 400F for 20 minutes and on the grill obviously!

Maybe if you put the habanero in the sake overnight then marinate. Nice simple recipe I may have to try it this weekend.

Now that I have a dedicated bowl and know it's going to take 1 1/2 cups of Sake I can try that.. Thank you for that direction to try!

View attachment 500322

Man that all looks great but I love how you did the tots! Care to share what is in your homemade ranch seasoning?

Large Batch Ranch Seasoning

INGREDIENTS
  • ▢3/4 cup dried parsley
  • ▢3 tbsp dried dill
  • ▢2 tbsp dried chives
  • ▢1/4 cup granulated garlic
  • ▢1/4 cup granulated onion
  • ▢1/4 cup dried onion flakes
  • ▢2 tbsp kosher salt
  • ▢2 tbsp ground black pepper
I nix this is a short wide mouthed Mason jar so that a measuring spoon will reach the bottom and so you can shake it all up before each use.
It will fill the jar right to the top when you make a fresh batch.

20210617_100139.jpg

The whole meal looks fantastic to me!
If you want more heat either inject it with Tony C’s jalapeño marinade & add some cayenne pepper to it.
Al

Reactions: kilo charlie
The whole meal looks fantastic to me!
If you want more heat either inject it with Tony C’s jalapeño marinade & add some cayenne pepper to it.
Al

Thank you!

My concern with injecting is that it'll take away from the Sake being able to crisp up the skin. As olaf olaf suggested I'm going to try to flavor the Sake itself because wing experiments are always fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky