Greetings from South of Manila, Philippines

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

familyjuice

Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Hi, I just started to smoke. I'm hoping to learn from this community. I bought a cheap smoker(BIG MISTAKE!) and started to modify it, cause it wasn't performing as well as I'd hope. I'm planning to get a better one, but I have to prove to my wife that I can smoke at least  a good meat out of the cheap smoker.

Anyway, smoking meats is unusual, but not unheard of here in the Philippines. Wood commonly used for smoking is hard to find, but is available in some stores. Local woods like Acacia, Rambutan or Guava are available. Acacia is abundant especially after a typhoon hit us a couple of weeks ago. People are trying to get rid of it, and I'm trying to collect it.

I have smoked brisket, pork butt and chicken. I'm planning to smoke more meats like fish and turkey.

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions
Post it and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is
because their are so many different ways to make great Q...
Happy smoken.
David

Reactions: familyjuice
Hello and welcome to the forum from sunny East Texas. Great site Great people How your Weather ?

Gary S

Reactions: familyjuice
Welcome to the site. Make some tinapa, spelling may not be right. My wife and I have a place in Pasay

Richie

Gary, it's the rainy season over here, but we still get to see the sun every now and then.

Richie, tinapa is a good idea. For those who don't know what tinapa is, it's salted smoked fish.

Scott, I'm from Muntinlupa City. What places did you you visit? 

Welcome from Canada.

canada-flag-14.gif

You will find this a great place to learn about smoking with a lot of great information and good people.

I really look forward to your posts and seeing a Philippines twist on smoking!

Disco

I worked with quite a few physical therapists from there.  Even spent what we joked about being a "brown Christmas" with some good friends.

They didn't know squat about smoking, but they would grill some fantastic marinated meat.  The lumpia rolls were absolutely wonderful!

Let me join the welcomes FJ!  Glad you joined.  Like others above I have great memories of the Philippines, provided by the guys driving the big grey delivery ships. 

Happy you're here and looking forward to your smokes from across the sea!

Loved the Lumpia, but I was a Hopia addict.  Still miss those.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky