Got a hot dog situation...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zachyweezer

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 30, 2022
Hey all.

When I make regular smoked sausage, whether pork or beef, I do 70/30 and typically a single grind. It's always super juicy and just what we like.

As for my recent attempt at hot dogs, they were just ok. I did a 70/30 ratio, triple grind through a fine plate, mixed like a mad man, and stuffed into cellulose casings. Everything was extremely cold. Smoked the next day at 150 for a couple hours and finished in the smoker. No fat out. Everything was perfect

The hot dogs seem extremely lean to me, however. They're nor bad, but I cant believe just how lean the bite is. Again, not grainy or anything.

Could this be because of the triple grind? Am I used to larger pieces of fat and only feel the sausage is leaner because it's more distributed? Am I going crazy🤪 ?

Reactions: slavikborisov
Hey all.

When I make regular smoked sausage, whether pork or beef, I do 70/30 and typically a single grind. It's always super juicy and just what we like.

As for my recent attempt at hot dogs, they were just ok. I did a 70/30 ratio, triple grind through a fine plate, mixed like a mad man, and stuffed into cellulose casings. Everything was extremely cold. Smoked the next day at 150 for a couple hours and finished in the smoker. No fat out. Everything was perfect

The hot dogs seem extremely lean to me, however. They're nor bad, but I cant believe just how lean the bite is. Again, not grainy or anything.

Could this be because of the triple grind? Am I used to larger pieces of fat and only feel the sausage is leaner because it's more distributed? Am I going crazy🤪 ?
Probably worth mentioning that they are all beef.

I believe hot dogs are more like a 50/50 mix... Then the meat is emulsified so I don't think 3 grinds is the culprit...

Others with more knowledge than I will be along to teach us all ...

Reactions: zachyweezer
I use all pork . 80 / 20 . One grind thru an 1/8 " plate .
Then use a food processor to emulsify . 3 times through through a fine plate and a hard mix is to much in my opinion .
1686789940432.png
1686789995823.jpeg

Hotdogs can be done with 100% beef (think Kosher). I've seen it done with pork/beef doing a couple passes through a fine plate with decent results, but the texture isn't exactly like emulsified.

I use all pork . 80 / 20 . One grind thru an 1/8 " plate .
Then use a food processor to emulsify . 3 times through through a fine plate and a hard mix is to much in my opinion .
View attachment 667961
View attachment 667962
Looks like a nice dog!
I guess I was practicing a little creative writing when I mentioned my mixing. I mix until the meat mixture sticks to my hand and then maybe an extra minute after that.

I'm a little confused about the grinding now. I thought that as long as things were nice and cold, you could grind as much as you'd like without compromising the fat in your sausage. The 30/70 mix in these dogs seems more like 15/85. Strange stuff.

I guess the repeated fine grinding is over manipulating the beef...kind of like overmixing meatloaf? The product becomes dense and less than juicy

Reactions: DougE and chopsaw
I guess the repeated fine grinding is over manipulating the beef...kind of like overmixing meatloaf? The product becomes dense and less than juicy
That would be my thought . Just offering my opinion . Other things go into it . Do you use a binder ?

May well be the case. While I just do other non-emulsified sausages for the time being, I have read a lot on making hotdogs by using a grinder only, and full emulsification using either a food processor or bowl cutter. Of the grinder only ones, they did a coarse grind first, then 2 passes through a fine plate (chilling the meat between passes, of course).

That would be my thought . Just offering my opinion . Other things go into it . Do you use a binder
That would be my thought . Just offering my opinion . Other things go into it . Do you use a binder ?
I appreciate the advice! I use milk powder and, as with all my sausages, some unleavened bread crumbs (about 1oz. per lb. - not much).

May well be the case. While I just do other non-emulsified sausages for the time being, I have read a lot on making hotdogs by using a grinder only, and full emulsification using either a food processor or bowl cutter. Of the grinder only ones, they did a coarse grind first, then 2 passes through a fine plate (chilling the meat between passes, of course).
Thats what I did exactly. I coarse grind (1/4 in. I think), and two on the finest one (can't give you specifics on that one).

I've watched some well trusted sausage makers on youtube do 1 coarse, 2 fine for dogs. They chill the meat to 30~32°F between passes and make some decent looking dogs for non-emulsified. Good texture and not dry at all. I only follow a couple ......... two guys and a cooler (cajuneric here, and Duncan Henry, who does a Marianski March series yearly with permission from Stanley)

I've watched some well trusted sausage makers on youtube do 1 coarse, 2 fine for dogs. They chill the meat to 30~32°F between passes and make some decent looking dogs for non-emulsified. Good texture and not dry at all. I only follow a couple ......... two guys and a cooler (cajuneric here, and Duncan Henry, who does a Marianski March series yearly with permission from Stanley)
Yeah, I've seen a few of their videos. There's another fellow with a channel called Chud's BBQ that has a couple of hot dog vids where he only uses a grinder. In fact, he was the inspiration for my dogs.
Again, they weren't bad, just not nearly as juicy as I would have liked. Not dry but lean. A lot of my family loved them. Just trying to figure out why that's the case. I think I'll go with pork next time (this weekend probably.lol) and possibly go with one coarse grind followed by a fine.

Reactions: DougE
Yeah, I've seen a few of their videos. There's another fellow with a channel called Chud's BBQ that has a couple of hot dog vids where he only uses a grinder. In fact, he was the inspiration for my dogs.
Again, they weren't bad, just not nearly as juicy as I would have liked. Not dry but lean. A lot of my family loved them. Just trying to figure out why that's the case. I think I'll go with pork next time (this weekend probably.lol) and possibly go with one coarse grind followed by a fine.
Let us know how the next batch goes. You might could still do all beef, but add in a little pork backfat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky