good Golly Memorial day already

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It’s our 27th anniversary. Crazy getting hitched on a major holiday, but at the time made sense. Now it’s a PITA. Just hard to enjoy it with all the people everywhere. Just stick to home and eat well. That’s all I know.
I feel your pain, we go married the end of September, we get to share our anniversary with restaurants full of Homecoming Kids... Here in DFW, they even fill up the high end restaurants!

- Jason

Reactions: SmokinEdge
What's everybody planning for the holiday weekend. being the planner I am ,I'm working on a food menu.
Last weekend I did my best to screw up a slab of baby backs with a temperamental WSM .
might have to head to GFS for a boston butt for dual race day Sunday.
I'm planning on relaxing after a BBQ competition last week/end. Going to cook a few butts for friends & family. If they are willing to pay for the meat, I'm willing to provide free labor for holidays like this.

Being on a diet sure puts a damper on these holidays. :/ I did do a couple slabs of ribs this past sunday though.

I'm planning on relaxing after a BBQ competition last week/end. Going to cook a few butts for friends & family. If they are willing to pay for the meat, I'm willing to provide free labor for holidays like this.
Well you need to tell us more about the comp!

Keith

I hear you on that.

I thought doing it on Valentines day was real romantic, ( and it was )
But try and find a nice quite place to go for a nice meal on that day. now we either cook at home or go out on a different day to celebrate.

David

Ha! Us too! Cant remember exactly why we chose Valentines day, it was just an officiator in our living room and us, a surprise to everyone else when we announced. It CAN be tough to just go out to a place but I find I can usually make reservations well in advance at the nicer places.

We did super high-end multi course special dinners at a nearby upscale historic inn the last two years. Kind of cool but way expensive and takes 3 hours to get through all the course servings. We decided not to do that any more. Maybe I'll go back to our old standby, her favorite, fresh sushimi grade seared scallops, and I usually thin slice some for eating raw as well. Sometimes the hassle of going out is worse to me than doing the cooking.

Memorial Day. I didn't even realize it until a couple days ago. I was planning enchiladas monday, but think I will push that off for either a NY Strip on the grill, or lamb burgers on the griddle...maybe beef burgers if I have time to thaw and grind the meat by then.

Thank you to all who serve and have served, and never forget the POW-MIA.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Well you need to tell us more about the comp!

Keith
It was fun. Just the big one they put on at Memphis in May each year. My team competes in shoulder & we did okay. Middle of the pack. Would have preferred to do better.

Overall, I had a really fun time at the event & I always love catching up with old friends around town.

Reactions: 912smoker
Ha! Us too! Cant remember exactly why we chose Valentines day, it was just an officiator in our living room and us, a surprise to everyone else when we announced. It CAN be tough to just go out to a place but I find I can usually make reservations well in advance at the nicer places.

We did super high-end multi course special dinners at a nearby upscale historic inn the last two years. Kind of cool but way expensive and takes 3 hours to get through all the course servings. We decided not to do that any more. Maybe I'll go back to our old standby, her favorite, fresh sushimi grade seared scallops, and I usually thin slice some for eating raw as well. Sometimes the hassle of going out is worse to me than doing the cooking.

Yes I thought it would be fun to get married on that day down south on a beach in Jamaica.
It was fun , but yes I have booked tables at fancy restaurants, but they are still busy and not really quite. And because there are still folks waiting for tables . You are still feeling kind of rushed.

So yes we mostly cook at home on the day , and go out another day.

I have taken her to a fancy McDonalds , there are always seats there , and you know what to expect 🤮🤮🤮 lol

David

Reactions: chef k-dude
It was fun. Just the big one they put on at Memphis in May each year. My team competes in shoulder & we did okay. Middle of the pack. Would have preferred to do better.

Overall, I had a really fun time at the event & I always love catching up with old friends around town.
Mid pack in that category is pretty good.
Pretty stiff competition with HR and BBG teams.
You should start a thread and tell us about the experience!

I'll be cooking brisket (if I can get the Kroger hack to work) or ribs for our large and extended family! Eyed a couple of places with decent prices down here.

Keith

Looking like storms all weekend here. Seems to be every weekend. Looks like I'll do our get together next weekend. Pivoting to spares, ABT's and my keto cowboy beans in the 270

Mid pack in that category is pretty good.
Pretty stiff competition with HR and BBG teams.
You should start a thread and tell us about the experience!

I'll be cooking brisket (if I can get the Kroger hack to work) or ribs for our large and extended family! Eyed a couple of places with decent prices down here.

Keith

I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm a small fish in a big pond. That week has always been wild & goes by in a blur. You do get to chat with a lot of cool folks & skilled head cooks. I'm just looking forward to getting back to some backyard BBQ for the rest of the year. Going to smoke some Seaboard/Prairie Fresh Boston Butts Sunday-to-Monday & enjoy feasting with the fam.

Long list of things to do:
Friday - off work but will still work in morning, play golf in afternoon. Tap my pilsner that has been lagering for last three months. Good bbq joint in Nixa I may stop and eat dinner at.
Sat - smoke STL spare ribs, fill hot tub just purchased and finished running wire for and balance chemicals . Maybe work on deck around it.
Sun - Maybe take boat out of garage and put it in slip and go for a ride, depending on how much holiday traffic is out on lake, bought a pork sirloin roast I will put on the spinner and make some smokey sauce for it. Need to build workbench for shop and to use for brewing beer.
Mon - smoking a turkey breast. Probably continue working on the above projects. Also need to brew a batch of beer.

Practice my cornhole game so can beat nephew when he visits. He cleans my clock at it, but I put it on him playing golf.

Need more days off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky