Good books for someone of a technical bent?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

imvirgo

Original poster
Oct 31, 2023
Going to DIY a dehydrator (will post CAD previews here) and jerky will be one of the first projects. Any books you guys recommend, hopefully something that leans into the technical aspects (chemistry etc)?

Thanks so much

Joe

Not really about jerky per say, but about salami. The drying technology is the same....

The Art of Making Fermented Sausages by Adam and Stanley Marianski. About $15 bucks.

Reactions: 02ebz06
Going to DIY a dehydrator (will post CAD previews here) and jerky will be one of the first projects. Any books you guys recommend, hopefully something that leans into the technical aspects (chemistry etc)?

Thanks so much

Joe
Hi there and welcome!

I don't have any technical jerky books to suggest but a very great read and often detailed if not technical, is the Aaron Franklin bbq book.

Avoid the book "Smoke & Spice", it is pretty much the opposite of anything technical, detailed, or in depth. It's pretty much a summary of smoking recipes.

Actually let me summarize every recipe and bit of info from Smoke & Spice for you now, and suggest you don't follow any of it. This forum is the best source of BBQ info in the world so please don't use the following lol:
  • Smoke everything at a smoker temp of 225F
  • Use some kind of smoking wood (I think if it ever suggests any it says use hickory). It will not make a suggestion of how long to apply smoke for anything you make.
  • Cook everything by some amount of time depending on the recipe, many times seem to be similar
  • Use all of these extra unnecessary ingredients for this recipe with no good explanation as to what certain spices might be adding to the dish (surprise, not adding much, the dish will be great without most of them lol)
I hope this info helps :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky