New to smoking as of Saturday...Help me next step! HOOKED HARD!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
If you're serious about getting into stickburning with an offset, and there's Academys in your part of the woods, then the Old Country Pecos is the best value. Its a great pit to start on.

We have Academy all over the place here. I mainly go there hoping to find some reloading primers or powders.

I will check out the Old Country Pecos there today, they have a bunch of grills assembled and on the floor.

One thing I did want to ask is something like this would also be fine cooking burgers or such as well right? Not just for smoking.

We have Academy all over the place here. I mainly go there hoping to find some reloading primers or powders.

I will check out the Old Country Pecos there today, they have a bunch of grills assembled and on the floor.

One thing I did want to ask is something like this would also be fine cooking burgers or such as well right? Not just for smoking.

Well, it can be. It has a lid on top of the firebox and it should have a cooking grate inside. But its gonna be live fire grilling more than charcoal because the grate would set up pretty high off the coals.

But you've got the best burger griller with the Kettle. That's a great compliment to the smoker.

What are you looking to cook/smoke, and how much more room do you think you'll need?

Here's a shot of my 26" kettle smoking a pork butt and a ham shank, and I still have room to spare.
1702397404913.png

Here's another shot of the same kettle smoking a 15.5 lb brisket again room to spare.
1702397563512.png

Chris

What are you looking to cook/smoke, and how much more room do you think you'll need?

Here's a shot of my 26" kettle smoking a pork butt and a ham shank, and I still have room to spare.

Chris

My thought was to smoke maybe up to 3 racks of ribs (size wise) or a rack of ribs and a butt. I'm not sure what size my kettle is but it's not that big from what you can see.

My idea was something like this. I was under the assumption that the main part of the grill was a traditional charcoal grill for steaks, burgers, etc, and the off to the side was the smoking part for smoking application. But again I saw a cooking grate inside the smoker so do you actually put meat in the smoking section? I was thinking it was only fuel/wood.

But while looking at Academy this size wise looks about perfect.

thumbnail (12).jpg

thumbnail (13).jpg

thumbnail (14).jpg

thumbnail (15).jpg

Hi, and welcome from Iowa! You can grill, smoke whatever with a kettle. Try out what you like best to use... you can have more than one smoker! I only have six! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
In an offset, you build a fire in the firebox to the right, the heat/air flows into the cook chamber and out the exhaust on left. Its indirect cooking and done at lower temps 325 and lower.

And they're more difficult to use. Someone whose just starting needs something easier.

A great smoker to start on would be a Weber Smokey Mountain, known as a WSM. It would be a good compliment to your Kettle. Can't grill on a WSM but its a good smoker for the money. You can learn and find out whether this is for you, without spending a lot of money.

Or a moderately priced pellet grill.

Reactions: DonP
People keep mentioning your kettle. Believe me, they know what they are talking about. It is an incredibly versatile price of cooking equipment. If you want to grill and smoke, then add a Weber Smokey Mountain cooker.
Many BBQ competitions have been won by food smoked on a WSM. It is an excellent smoker for the novice through the seasoned pro. The 18.5" WSM may be the perfect size for the backyard and well within your budget.

Oh, welcome to the obsession.

My thought was to smoke maybe up to 3 racks of ribs (size wise) or a rack of ribs and a butt. I'm not sure what size my kettle is but it's not that big from what you can see.

My idea was something like this. I was under the assumption that the main part of the grill was a traditional charcoal grill for steaks, burgers, etc, and the off to the side was the smoking part for smoking application. But again I saw a cooking grate inside the smoker so do you actually put meat in the smoking section? I was thinking it was only fuel/wood.

But while looking at Academy this size wise looks about perfect.

View attachment 683220

View attachment 683221

View attachment 683222

View attachment 683223
I've had a version of that grill/smoker forever. On my second or third one.
I grill in the larger area regularly. Even been known to rake the ash into the fire box instead of cleaning for a quick cook. LoL

Ok guys you have talked me into getting another Kettle, just a larger one. But I do want to ask about the below...Don't kill me guys.

Reactions: DonP
I went back to Academy after work and looked a little more. I found this grill which seemed pretty much what I'd like. Gas grill coverage for a lot of stuff but instead with charcoal. Even has an adjustable rack for how close to the coals you want to cook! Clearly cheap and not built terribly well but for the price almost disposable!

a.jpg

aa.jpg

aaa.jpg

aaaa.jpg

aaaaa.jpg

aaaaaa.jpg

THEN!!!! I found this hahaha

So it's the same thing, adjustable charcoal tray but with the additional smoker off to the side! Still a piece of crap I bet but why wouldn't this be a killer little setup?

b.jpg

bb.jpg

bbb.jpg

bbbb.jpg

bbbbb.jpg

bbbbbb.jpg

bbbbbbb.jpg

Isn't shopping for a new grill/smoker fun! My advice is go for a little better quality, thicker metal, more stable platform. Take a look at some of the Oklahoma Joe's products. But, with the Weber kettle or WSM there will be no regrets down the road.

Isn't shopping for a new grill/smoker fun! My advice is go for a little better quality, thicker metal, more stable platform. Take a look at some of the Oklahoma Joe's products. But, with the Weber kettle or WSM there will be no regrets down the road.

I'm starting to lean towards a better/bigger Kettle and a WSM on the side. Unsure yet though as I really like the idea of the offset smoker. (The chimney is just too cool honestly!)

A 26" Kettle has 508 sq in of cooking area so similar to above and will last for almost forever. Get a rib rack if needed and or a 2nd shelf. Quality offsets are expensive for a reason.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky