Gonna be a long night, Brisket just went on the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
16.5#er, but my butcher friend assures me this is the best one that came in today, he set it aside for me. Always befriend your butcher and he will take care of you. I fabricate stuff for him, he hooks me up with great meat-win/win.

Seasoned up ready to hit the grate...

I stood a fork next to the point end for thickness reference.

Loaded up-let the good smoke roll!

Had to use 2 aluminum trays cause this one was so huge. 10 cooks in the new smoker since I finished it less than a month ago, color on the inside walls is starting to look real good.

Using live oak chips from the tree in the yard and B&B hickory/oak blend pellets.

Gone make coffee, gonna need it...

2 hours in and she's chuggin along. INT 85* and suckin up the smoke. I just checked the weather, strong line of storms moving through around 1pm tomorrow. Hope she's done by then, if not I will have to move the cook to finish off on the pellet smoker @ the firehouse which is no biggy. Improvise and over come; I'm  problem solver!

So far, so good!  Nice start.
icon14.gif
Angus top choice went on sale, $1.99/lb.

icon14.gif
Angus top choice went on sale, $1.99/lb.
Great deal on fantastic looking protein!
Yes it was. I bought 2 and put one in the freezer. I plan on smoking the 2nd one either for the 4th of July or sometime in June to bring to the fishing camp.

Texas style pinto beans are in the crock pot. Will smoke them in the morning.

Don't look too appetizing right now, but they will once the dry beans cook and soften up. That's sauteed onion floating on top with a jalapeno.

Last edited:
Hit 150* @4:30am, 5.5 hours into the cook. Bark is looking real nice!

Close up...

Wrapped in foil and back on the grate it goes. The Brisket was too big to fit in my oven. Bump temp to 275* and let 'er roll through the stall.

Really want that auto set up right about now so I could get some shut eye. But just like the brisket and the stall, I'll power through sleep deprivation!
Coffee.gif

Last edited:
INT just hit 180* so low and slow to break down the collegen and melt fat. Moved the beans in to the smokehouse. Might finish the cook before the severe weather hits. Gonna be close though.

Weather is bout to hit us now hope you are done
INT hit 190* @ 8:45am. I looked at the radar and saw it coming so I packed it up in a cambro, grabbed the beans and headed to the firehouse to finish on the pellet smoker there. Barely beat the rain. Had to push it to 203* before she got tender. Pulled it @ noon. Got it in the over keeping warm until about 3pm when I'll pull it out to slow cool for slicing. Pics. to come when we slice it. But here's the beans...

I put them in the smokehouse for about an hour this morning to get a kiss of smoke.

Reactions: geezer

Your brisket looks fantastic!

Point to you for making the carousel!

Al
Next on deck is Canadian bacon (back bacon). It's in the brine right now. Pork Loin went on sale for $1.27/lb. so I picked up 2. gonna make one pepper and one maple. 5 more days in the cure and on the smoker they go.

Reactions: maplenut
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky