Advice-Brisket on a pellet smoker...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So my Uncle that lives in Coastal Mississippi is having a Bourbon tasting in 2 weeks. He invited me to come (I am bringing a huge salumi board). He bought a new pellet smoker and is itching to fire it up for a big cookout. He suggested Brisket, and since he has had my brisket before, he is asking if I would cook one on the pellet smoker. I've cooked brisket on an open fire, on an offset (both large and small) and in my smokehouse; never done one on a pellet smoker so any tips appreciated. I have an AMAZN pellet tube and will be bringing it to kick up the smoke, but other than that I'll be winging it and letting the brisket talk to me.

Any Advice? Let 'er rip and post it up. Thanks in advance....

Best brisket I’ve ever done was in my SmokeFire. Simple. Just make sure you put a probe in it to keep track of temp. If you’ve done a brisket before, you know what to keep an eye on. It’s basically an oven that you can set temp on and kick back….

Give it some time at the beginning of the cook on the lowest temp setting to give it some good smoke. Pellet grills make more smoke at lower temp settings. Other than that, heat is heat as far as the rest of the cook goes.

Reactions: indaswamp
Best advice Keith, run a probe on the grate next to the meat. Use that as pit temp, then cook your brisket in a known heat. The pellet grill is much like an oven, very consinstant heat. Add that smoke tube, and use good pellets. Will make a very good brisket, not offset quality, but dang good.

I was just going to also suggest same , ambient temp probe as some tim there is a different temp inside to what the grill says…

Morning Keith. Not sure what pellet smoker you'll be using but I can only speak for my Rec Tec. As has been noted, place a thermometer probe on the cooking grate where the brisket will be. The pellet smokers tend to run lower grate temp than the set point temp. With the Rec Tec, and this comes straight from them, there will be about a 10% differential between set point and grate temps. At a 250 set point you'll actually be about 225 at the grate. Running on low heat / extreme smoke, which I believe most pellet smokers have, for 2-3 hours in the beginning will help with additional smoke flavor. Augmenting with a pellet tray or tube is a good idea if you really want to amp up the smokiness. Make sure to put some sort of a pan under the brisket from the very beginning. That thing is gonna make a God awful mess in the smoker otherwise :emoji_wink:

Robert

What brand of pellet grill is it ?
Might be some specific info from someone that owns the same brand .

I never run ambient temp probes , unless I'm using charcoal or live fire on long cooks . Then it's just as an alarm .
If you run for this , don't get caught up in the readings unless there is an extreme difference .

Most important thing for me when I first got my pellet grill was taking into account the convection effects of the fan running and placement of the meat being cooked .

You bring enough knowledge to this , that I would think about the things that are different between a pellet grill and what you're used to .
Be careful , you might get hooked . Lol . I bought mine in July of '21 and use it constantly .
I have no doubt you'll get it right .

I am in the extra thermometer at grate camp. My RT 590 usually runs 10° less on my ( verified ) Inkbirds than temp on RT.
I run Lumberjack pellets.

Keith, for certain you know your way around producing a great smoked brisket. Regarding Pellet grills, they really aren't that much different once you know what the true grate temp is. Since you said your Uncle has had your brisket before, your idea of adding the smoke tube is a good approach since pellet smokers tend to provide less intense smoke flavor vs offsets etc. Robert mention of adding a tray below is a very good idea. I've been doing that now for a number of years and it sure makes maintaining the smoker a whole lot easier.

I made one recently on my green moutain grill. I ran it at 250 and when it got to the stall I put the brisket in a foil boat. At the end of the cook I put the brisket in the foil boat in our oven at 170 overnight till lunch time. Ended up tasting great and we were all happy.

Reactions: G8trwood
Start out low as you can go and add smoke tube for several hours. My smoke setting sits from 160-190. Then 200 for an hour then 225-250 until bark is set. Into foil pan on rack. Raise temp to 270. A bit of broth and Guinness in pan. Roll pan edges in towards brisket. Fat up. Let it go until 180-185 then sous vide for 24 hours. Alternative roll it up towards 195 ish. Wrap in foil, towels and cooler for 8-10 hours. The water bath or cooler hold is great. Get the cook done and on standby finish. That way you can relax before serving.

Ymmv. My latest try on edible brisket, lol..I typically have oak in the hopper and hickory in the tube. Vary based on your taste preferences.

I've done two on a traeger at someone else's house. First one, no smoke flavor. Second, I bought a smoke tube and "good pellets", can't remember the brand. No matter where I put the smoker tube, the smoke went straight out the crack at the top of the door. Still ultimately no smoke flavor, I couldn't tell a difference. Texture on both was better than I have achieved on my offset, but the flavor wasn't there.

Might do some research for that specific model where folks put thier tube. Not sure what you usually do, but maybe a good opportunity to explore more flavorful rubs. If I do another in it, I won't do salt and pepper.

Just saw your update. Think my advice still applies, but never done ribs on a pellet myself.

So my Uncle that lives in Coastal Mississippi is having a Bourbon tasting in 2 weeks. He invited me to come (I am bringing a huge salumi board). He bought a new pellet smoker and is itching to fire it up for a big cookout. He suggested Brisket, and since he has had my brisket before, he is asking if I would cook one on the pellet smoker. I've cooked brisket on an open fire, on an offset (both large and small) and in my smokehouse; never done one on a pellet smoker so any tips appreciated. I have an AMAZN pellet tube and will be bringing it to kick up the smoke, but other than that I'll be winging it and letting the brisket talk to me.

Any Advice? Let 'er rip and post it up. Thanks in advance....
What pellet tube do you use?

Keep the tube away from the grills temp sensor as it can cause issues.

I like to use the tray and light both ends. Put it under the drip tray. Still not stick taste, but better.

Reactions: Hockeydudde
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky