Glaze or no Glaze??? Dust or no dust??? What to do with this free spiral cut ham!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
I picked up a free spiral cut ham that I think I will throw in the mini on Saturday. The ham comes with one of those glaze packets that I've never used. Typically make up my own concoction. I've looked around here at other recipes. Kind of was thinking about dusting it with brown sugar and spices, more like a rub but not adding it until the last hour or 45 minutes.  Just not sure. Anyone have a favorite recipe for a glaze?

Reactions: disco
I haven't used one of the packets that come with a ham in many years. So I don't remember much about it. I like to make a glaze out of honey and brown sugar. I make a few scores on the outside of a unsliced ham and add  cloves and black pepper corns. I don't think that will work with a sprial sliced ham. You might add them into the slices
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Happy smoken.

David

And just where does one "pick up a free spiral sliced ham"?

The packets that come with them are usually pretty good. Even better with the blowtorch treatment!!
biggrin.gif

Never seen a free ham before….  I'm sure they exist. Just never seen one….
[h3]Glaze[/h3][h3]1 - c apple juice
1 - c orange juice I use the frozen concentrate and add only 1/2 the water.
1- c brown sugar 
1/2 - c honey
[/h3]
For a hard candy crust take the torch you use for lighting your AMNPS and go over the ham right after you take out. 

This is my favourite glaze:

Maple Glaze

3/4 cup maple syrup

2 tablespoon soy sauce

2 tablespoon packed brown sugar

2 ½ tablespoon ketchup

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce

1 clove garlic finely chopped

½ tablespoon Dijon

½ teaspoon salt

I take the ham to an internal temperature of 120 F, glaze it and then take it to 140 F.

By the way, free ham tastes better.

Disco

Free Ham is truly never free!!! It was one of those buy $$$ of food get the free ham deals. Since we buy groceries once a month it worked out to be free!

All good looking options so far, keep them coming!

I have had a few of those spiral cut hams w/o glaze, (actually its now hard here to get a ham that isn't pre-cut), and I can definitely say that without a glaze the ham dries and is like eating shoe leather!

I am partial to Disco's maple glaze. Tried it the other day on some smoked cured ribs and I like it.

You can't make any Maple Satsuma glaze so I won't tease ya with it.

Long ago I  started a peach/honey glaze which is pretty wicked on ham. Its just peach preserves, honey and a dollop of my homemade BBQ sauce. Not your normal BBQ sauce, its West Texas BBQ sauce, you can stand a knife up in it, its that thick.

Reactions: themule69
Lots of good info so far! I was thinking along the lines of a pineapple peach glaze with a bit of heat in there. I was planning on smoking it in a tin pan to collect the juices. planning on doing Dutch's beans too, so I may just let the ham drip down into the beans, well just have to wait and see. I hope it warms up a bit. Was 5° this morning, just now at noon getting into the 20's!!! BRRRRR!!!

A simple, not quite a glaze, I've been using for years and everyone seems to love it:

1 can of crushed pineapples

brown sugar

mustard (your choice of what you want to use)

Drain the crushed pineapples and put the juice into a sauce pan, smoosh the pineapples onto the top of the scored (or in your case, spiraled) ham.

On medium heat add brown sugar and mustard to the pineapple juice.  Sorry, I've never measured how much of what I put in but you'll figure it out easy enough.  Once heated up it will thicken up a little.  Pour the concoction onto the ham/crushed pineapple carefully so as to not wash away your smooshing efforts from earlier.  I then baste about every 10-15 minutes for about the last hour of the cooking.

There's just something about eating a thick ham steak with the pineapple on it.  Makes the best ham sandwiches hands down, too!

It's almost tee time! Few more hours, oh what to do!!! I have settled on using a glaze, and I think I will go full on new recipe and make it up as I go.

I should mention that it is only 10° right now and the high today is supposed to be around 40°, I hope it gets there. Yesterday it topped out at BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

It's almost tee time! Few more hours, oh what to do!!! I have settled on using a glaze, and I think I will go full on new recipe and make it up as I go.

I should mention that it is only 10° right now and the high today is supposed to be around 40°, I hope it gets there. Yesterday it topped out at BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
You weren't  out cooking with your polar bear buddies again were you? You can burn yourself in bad places like that.

All great stuff.  I think Woodcutter had the best method of making sure that the slices dont dry out or loose it's moisture [ to tie it as he has done].  That is the only problem you run into with the spirals.  I've told folks to wrap spirals in foil and bake them and then the last half hour to put the glaze on. Not everyone had a smoker or knew how to tie a ham. Reinhard

We'll it's done! Didn't dry out didn't tie or skewer it. I did glaze it and it all turned out fantastic!!!

ama4yge3.jpg

su2e8yvu.jpg

da5apu9y.jpg

Modified version of Dutch's wicked beans. Used BBQ sauce and Serrano peppers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky