First Time Smoked Corned Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

camox413

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 14, 2016
I've decided to smoke my first corned beef today guys. I'm smoking it on a traeger with hickory pellets.

I think for rub I've read that pickling spice and black pepper are a good mix.

What do you all think?

It's right at 4#'s how long do you all think it should smoke at 225?

If you're u grind the pickling spice it will work good as a rub.

As for time it will depend on the texture you want. I'd shoot for an internal temp or 185-195 myself.

If it's a store bought corned beef I'd also soak it to remove some of the salt. Is soak at least 3 hours. Changing water every 30 minutes. If you don't have that kind of time. Cut a few potatoes in half and add to the water. Change every 15 minutes.

Thank you for the advice dirtsailor. That's exactly what I did was grind up the seasoning packet as rub. I also ground up some pickling spice to give me a little extra.

I like salty so I only rinsed it for a couple minutes. If it turns out too salty I'll know for next time.

I just placed it right on the grate, fat cap down. I also used a creamy horseradish sauce to apply the rub.

This is a picure of it 20 minutes after putting her on the smoker.

I really needed to change the foil on my drip tray but realized I was out of foil at last minute and had to get it on to be done by dinner time.

I don't know were you are but hope it is early their.

Richie

You may want to get a roll of foil in case you have to foil it

Reactions: camox413
I'm in Colorado so it's 10 till noon and been on for 45 minutes.

Hoping it will be done by 6 Mountain time.

At 4 hours now. Probed around and getting an IT of anywhere from 177 to 184 degrees. Is my Traeger cooking too hot to almost be done at 4 hours for a 4 pound corned beef?

Last edited:
Just decided to pull it and let it rest for 30 minutes before we eat.

Final temperature was right around 190 degrees at most places and smoked for right at 5 hours.

That looks damn good to me, I just pulled two off the smoker myself.

Last edited:
Nice job! Good looking beef.
points1.png

Thanks guys! I noticed that some of the outside edges got crispy and the thickest end of the beef, right at the end, was really hard to chew but the family loved it and so did I.

Next time I'll for sure soak it for a few hours first... it was very salty.

Thanks guys! I noticed that some of the outside edges got crispy and the thickest end of the beef, right at the end, was really hard to chew but the family loved it and so did I.

Next time I'll for sure soak it for a few hours first... it was very salty.
CX Nice job on the CB!! When I check for tenderness I use a round tooth pick. Points for a nice first

Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky