• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

FIrst time chuckies

bamafan

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 4, 2008
 Well I wanted to try some chuckies since every one on hear says how good they are and they were correct.

Couple of pastrami's ready to go on with the roasts.

A little mustard and Jeff's rub.

Couple of hours in the Bubba Grill.

Pulled and ready to eat. Most of the people over for the game said they like it better than pork! I didn't think so but it was good.

alblancher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Mar 6, 2009
Looks good.  Makes me want to give them a try. A newbie with chuckies also.

Did they have as much fat as pork and where you able to get a similar bark?

Al

pokey

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 15, 2010
Looks great! I'm gearing up for my first chuckies, too. Did you foil? What internal temp did you go for?

TIA (Thanks in advance)

bamafan

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 4, 2008
I cooked them to 170 and then foiled them and took them to 200 degrees. Set then in a cooler for a couple of hours. Al didn't get the same bark as pork. Probably could have if I didn't foil them but I was trying to get really moist meat. Wish I had left them in the cooler a little longer and maybe cooked them to 205 also. Wsn't as easy to pull as pork

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
That looks awesome

bamafan

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 4, 2008
Not the same as brisket. I like brisket better but the chuckies are pretty darn good. Especially on a open faced sandwich with gravy!

smoking gun

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 12, 2008
Is it more like brisket?
 It's a little like brisket but more fat and less stringy/tough... and will cook much faster. I look for chuckies with good marbling and a nice line of fat running through it. They're great smoked but for me nothing beats a good brisket.

alelover

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 9, 2010
Open face smoked chuckie sandwich with gravy sounds pretty awesome. I will try that. I want to do a brisket but that's an all day affair. A quick chuckie might be the ticket.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Looks real good from here!

Bear

meateater

Legendary Pitmaster
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 17, 2009
The money shot is awesome! Nice job on the chuckies.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks