• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First cold smoked bacon

GrandNagus7

Joined May 17, 2020
After a very successful cold smoked salmon in my new Cedar smokehouse I thought I would give bacon a crack.

7 days curing, now about 30 hours in the fridge to dry off ready for a Saturday smoke!
One with skin on and one with off to experiment.

Wish there was a little less fat but that came down to the cut I could get at the time.
Wish me luck!

Attachments

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That is a little short on the cure time, most of us cure our bacon for 2 weeks. So will be interested in seeing the end product!
Al

normanaj

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 2, 2014
Like the username.You must've watched a little StarTrek DS9 in your time!

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Like Al, I think 7 days is a little short on curing time (especially for a cold smoke). They don't look very big, though, so you may be ok...

GrandNagus7

Joined May 17, 2020
Thanks guys.

From memory I think they are about 50mm thick. I will do a cold smoke tomorrow, let it sit and fry some up to test.

How long do you guys normally let it sit for after a cold smoke? There are so many different ways people doing it from instantly frying it up to waiting a few days for the smoke to penetrate the meat.

I did 5 days with smoked cheese and about 30 hours for salmon.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Thanks guys.

From memory I think they are about 50mm thick. I will do a cold smoke tomorrow, let it sit and fry some up to test.

How long do you guys normally let it sit for after a cold smoke? There are so many different ways people doing it from instantly frying it up to waiting a few days for the smoke to penetrate the meat.

I did 5 days with smoked cheese and about 30 hours for salmon.
The smoke will probably have penetrated as much as it will anyway (depending on how long you smoke). I let it "air" in the fridge overnight to actually mellow out so it's not TOO smokey before slicing, cooking or packaging.
Same with cheese. I put it in an open 2 gal. zip lock bag so it can air out overnight in the fridge, no longer than that or the surface gets dry. After vac sealing it sits for at least a month aging and mellowing before eating.
Never done salmon...

GrandNagus7

Joined May 17, 2020
C
The smoke will probably have penetrated as much as it will anyway (depending on how long you smoke). I let it "air" in the fridge overnight to actually mellow out so it's not TOO smokey before slicing, cooking or packaging.
Same with cheese. I put it in an open 2 gal. zip lock bag so it can air out overnight in the fridge, no longer than that or the surface gets dry. After vac sealing it sits for at least a month aging and mellowing before eating.
Never done salmon...
Can you cover bacon like with salmon? Afraid it’s gunna stink out the fridge.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
C

I always just left uncovered in the fridge and bared the wife's wraith! I normally put it in the beer fridge though. The last time I didn't have room.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
C

I think that would defeat the purpose of letting it air.
I kind of like the smell and the Mrs stopped complaining a long time ago ;-)

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.