First cold smoked bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrandNagus7

Original poster
May 17, 2020
After a very successful cold smoked salmon in my new Cedar smokehouse I thought I would give bacon a crack.

7 days curing, now about 30 hours in the fridge to dry off ready for a Saturday smoke!
One with skin on and one with off to experiment.

Wish there was a little less fat but that came down to the cut I could get at the time.
Wish me luck!

Attachments

• 85C49DD0-65AB-425B-9E94-8A2E8562DC98.jpeg
    85C49DD0-65AB-425B-9E94-8A2E8562DC98.jpeg
    307.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 003968AA-A533-4A7A-B83F-E190FCE95CC0.jpeg
    003968AA-A533-4A7A-B83F-E190FCE95CC0.jpeg
    275.4 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: kruizer
That is a little short on the cure time, most of us cure our bacon for 2 weeks. So will be interested in seeing the end product!
Al

Like Al, I think 7 days is a little short on curing time (especially for a cold smoke). They don't look very big, though, so you may be ok...

Thanks guys.

From memory I think they are about 50mm thick. I will do a cold smoke tomorrow, let it sit and fry some up to test.

How long do you guys normally let it sit for after a cold smoke? There are so many different ways people doing it from instantly frying it up to waiting a few days for the smoke to penetrate the meat.

I did 5 days with smoked cheese and about 30 hours for salmon.

Thanks guys.

From memory I think they are about 50mm thick. I will do a cold smoke tomorrow, let it sit and fry some up to test.

How long do you guys normally let it sit for after a cold smoke? There are so many different ways people doing it from instantly frying it up to waiting a few days for the smoke to penetrate the meat.

I did 5 days with smoked cheese and about 30 hours for salmon.
The smoke will probably have penetrated as much as it will anyway (depending on how long you smoke). I let it "air" in the fridge overnight to actually mellow out so it's not TOO smokey before slicing, cooking or packaging.
Same with cheese. I put it in an open 2 gal. zip lock bag so it can air out overnight in the fridge, no longer than that or the surface gets dry. After vac sealing it sits for at least a month aging and mellowing before eating.
Never done salmon...

C
The smoke will probably have penetrated as much as it will anyway (depending on how long you smoke). I let it "air" in the fridge overnight to actually mellow out so it's not TOO smokey before slicing, cooking or packaging.
Same with cheese. I put it in an open 2 gal. zip lock bag so it can air out overnight in the fridge, no longer than that or the surface gets dry. After vac sealing it sits for at least a month aging and mellowing before eating.
Never done salmon...

Can you cover bacon like with salmon? Afraid it’s gunna stink out the fridge.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky