Buckboard bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maineman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Hi all, I’ve been doing a bunch of reading about making buckboard bacon. I’ve read so much I’ve gotten to the point of not remembering where I saw what….. I remember reading one that the late bear posted but can’t find it now. I believe I will cold smoke it as opposed to hot smoking.
Does anyone have a good simple recipe for the dry cure that they always go to and has good taste?

Reactions: JLeonard
You'll get a lot of replies, but most will be in a general ballpark range.

For dry curing by total weight of the meat:

Salt 1.5%
Cure #1 .25%
Brown Sugar 1%

Some folks like a little garlic powder or other wise. I prefer black pepper, but don't weigh it. I just give the pieces a light sprinkling going into the cure, and another before smoking. I vacuum seal the pieces after applying the cure and let them ride in the fridge for about 14 days.
You'll figure out where your taste lies and dial it in.

You'll get a lot of replies, but most will be in a general ballpark range.

For dry curing by total weight of the meat:

Salt 1.5%
Cure #1 .25%
Brown Sugar 1%

Some folks like a little garlic powder or other wise. I prefer black pepper, but don't weigh it. I just give the pieces a light sprinkling going into the cure, and another before smoking. I vacuum seal the pieces after applying the cure and let them ride in the fridge for about 14 days.
You'll figure out where your taste lies and dial it in.
I've got my first batch ready now to smoke using this recipe. It's been in the fridge for 14 days today, so maybe tomorrow, I'll fire up the smoker...

Reactions: JLeonard and nlife
Gonnasmoke, can you let me know how you like it? In our house we like regular bacon a tad on the salty side. I also like the peppery taste as it reminds me of my grandfathers bacon he made during butchering.

Probably a dumb question but the general percentages list are per LB?

As I’ve never made this before i keep having things pop in my head so sorry for odd questions. Once the rub is mixed up do I just sprinkle it on the outside of the meat and rub in before letting sit?

Gonnasmoke, can you let me know how you like it? In our house we like regular bacon a tad on the salty side. I also like the peppery taste as it reminds me of my grandfathers bacon he made during butchering.

Probably a dumb question but the general percentages list are per LB?
I'll let you know for sure. As is recommended by so many, I do everything in grams. You need a set of scales that will weigh in tenths of grams, though. Per some recommendations. I bought this set...

Reactions: JLeonard and nlife
As I’ve never made this before i keep having things pop in my head so sorry for odd questions. Once the rub is mixed up do I just sprinkle it on the outside of the meat and rub in before letting sit?
Yes, pretty much. Try to get all of the cure in the bag, a lot wants to stick to your hands and/or on whatever tray you're using. It was tedious for me. I have been rubbing and flipping mine at least every other day for 2 weeks now...

I'll let you know for sure. As is recommended by so many...

I made a belly with the recipe posted here and I really like it. I'll be making it again now that I have my fridge temps under control.

I made buckboard with a different recipe and it was quite a bit saltier. It's not really my thing, but the buckboard was excellent in split pea soup. It's also good cubed up and fried before going into an omelet.

Well now that’s exciting Charles. I never knew, but completely jazzed you have BB on deck, ha! We are enablers after all.
What I haven't spoke about is the belly I have curing, as well. I had one in the freezer and thought why not do that, too. The BBB went in on the 9th and the belly went in on the 14th. I've been sorta waiting on the belly so that I can do both at one time, but don't want to push the BBB too far. Thoughts about the time curing?

What I haven't spoke about is the belly I have curing, as well. I had one in the freezer and thought why not do that, too. The BBB went in on the 9th and the belly went in on the 14th. I've been sorta waiting on the belly so that I can do both at one time, but don't want to push the BBB too far. Thoughts about the time curing?
My minimum cure time is 10 days while my preferred time is 14 days, you are inside that window with either piece now. However you can push towards 21 days if you like, so I’d say smoke them any time you like from today forward.

My minimum cure time is 10 days while my preferred time is 14 days, you are inside that window with either piece now. However you can push towards 21 days if you like, so I’d say smoke them any time you like from today forward.
Is there a noticeable flavor change with more time?

Is there a noticeable flavor change with more time?
Noticeable from 5-10 days, a little less from 10-14 but still there, beyond 14 days not much change to 21 days then pushing on towards 30 days you start to get a weird aged taste kinda cheesy but not exactly something you want to shoot for, at least I don’t. This all assumes fridge temps in the 30’s.

Reactions: DougE
Thinking I want to cold smoke instead of cooking and smoking. Any suggestions on how long to smoke in my MES with an attached smoke generator? I know it’s a personal taste type thing but im
Looking for a general baseline.

My first batch of BBB went ok. I put meat in vacumn bags after applying rub then left in a cold fridge for 14 days flipping periodically. I then removed and rinsed off then back if cold fridge overnight on a rack. The next day I smoked until meat temp hit 145. I removed, put in fridge then sliced the next day.

Anyone have opinions on cold smoking other than it will need cooked before eating?

Attachments

• IMG_2168.jpeg
    IMG_2168.jpeg
    250 KB · Views: 5
My first batch of BBB went ok. I put meat in vacumn bags after applying rub then left in a cold fridge for 14 days flipping periodically. I then removed and rinsed off then back if cold fridge overnight on a rack. The next day I smoked until meat temp hit 145. I removed, put in fridge then sliced the next day.

Anyone have opinions on cold smoking other than it will need cooked before eating?
Cold smoke time and wood type are a preference thing. But to me, cold smoke sessions shouldn’t last more than about 5 hours then back in the fridge to rest then smoke again the next day again not longer than 5 hours. Repeat until you get the color you want. Most people are happy at 2-3 days smoking. Then bag it and rest it a couple few days for the smoke to balance out.

Personally I like a pecan cherry mix for smoke.

Reactions: DougE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky