First Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

louisvillesmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 30, 2017
Got a 3.1 lb chuck coated with Worcesteshire S&P rub. Put it on at 6:00 am. Trying to keep temp between 230 and 270 on my charcoal vertical. Idea is to cook to 200ish for pulling. Although I'm open to slicing as well.

For those that like to do chuck roasts, would the lower temp for slicing make it less tender and juicy? Since it's my first one, I don't plan to wrap at all,but I will spray with some low sodium beef broth. I did that with beef ribs and they turned out great. I know the chuck is a much different cut though.

Just out of the package

Two hours in
IT is 134

Reactions: Rings Я Us
If your pulling it, do it to probe tender.

Most definitely. I guess my question though is, for slices, do I still go to probe tender? And if not, then why would one do slices if it will be more tender by pulling?

Just over 5 hours in and I'm at 159 IT. I think the spritzing was slowing it down so I'll put that on hold for awhile.

This is so good to see. Point to Al for being back and posting.

Chris

Ok! It was taking forever so I decided to wrap it up when it hit 185 to take it down the home stretch. Poured the drippings and some beef broth and put it in the oven at 300. Just pulled it out at 205. It was all probe tender except for one little spot so I took it out for the final rest! 

Sorry no pics yet! Been getting things done because we have tickets to the Louisville-Clemson game tonight! Will eat here in about an hour then head up for a short tailgate! Will get pics when its done. Thanks guys for the temperature suggestions. It didn't probe like I wanted at 185 so I decided to take it higher.

Tasty looking chuckie,I pan mine to finish with French onion soup and foil the top even finish in the oven sometimes.

Looks Great!
:points1:

Congrats on a picture perfect first Chuckie.
Them chucks can take a while to cook, but they are worth it.

I concur with the others about slicing vs pulling temps.
Same goes for pork, though I start looking at sliced pork at 170°.
I look for just a little resistance when probing for slicing vs butter tender for pulling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky