First Attempt at Jerky w/Q

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Northern Michigan
Here's a peek at my first batch. Did a small batch to see how the ol' fridge would do and I must say : Texture = Perfect   Seasoning = Good a little salty (cured 24hrs, maybe too long??)  Smokeyness = Perfect (Beechwood)   Sorry for the blur all had was my phone camera.   The toothpick method works great.  Thanks for lookin, John.

9bae0077_Image1.jpg

Last edited:
looks good.  if it was too salty you can always rinse it after brining for a longer period of time or soak it in water for 5 or 10 minutes.  what type of salt are you using?  I have found that regular iodized table salt has a much stronger salt flavor than using canning or kosher salt.  if you are going to experiement with the salt types make sure to measure your salt by weight not by volume (tablespoons etc) because the different typs of salt have bigger crystals and there for a table spoon of regular table salt will have much more salt than a table spoon of canning salt.  I made this mistake once because I was making several batches of brine and ran out of the canning salt that i normally use and use the same volume of table salt.  wow was that salty!!! 

just my 2 cents!

doesn't sound like you had too much salt in your brine/cure.  you could cut down the soy or, you might try a little sweetener to cut the salt flavor.  you can use brown sugar, molasses, maple syrup etc.  without knowing what was in your brine it is hard to say.

I did a lot of experimenting with jerky this summer.  the best part was even the "bad" batches were still great eating. 

keep experimenting its all part of the fun!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky