First dive into jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jeff I saw this early this morning before going to work. Had to bookmark so I would remember to come back to this. Jerk jerky caught my eye.

So I came back late tonight , or almost the next day now. This is great and I love anything done Jerk style, so this I think I will have to try. They all look great but it is the Jerk that I really want. Thanks for the how to.

David

Reactions: jcam222
Jeff I saw this early this morning before going to work. Had to bookmark so I would remember to come back to this. Jerk jerky caught my eye.

So I came back late tonight , or almost the next day now. This is great and I love anything done Jerk style, so this I think I will have to try. They all look great but it is the Jerk that I really want. Thanks for the how to.

David
Thanks David. I think you will really like it. I’m about to go grab some now for some Netflix binging lol.

• Haha
Reactions: DRKsmoking
I am like you Jeff, when we were in Jamaica quite a few years ago now , ( we got married there on the beach on Valentines day ) A very sweet lady at the resort opened up the daytime open air restaurant at 2pm and I was waiting everyday for a half jerk chicken dinner . I was in love with that chicken. And her for being so sweet and nice , she made fantastic jerk chicken.
We were there for almost 2 weeks, that's a lot of jerk chicken.

David

I am huge jerk fan. Half the places I’ve eaten in Jamaica use Grace or Walkerwoods I think. I’ve done fresh and frankly I think the jarred stuff is just as good. When I do chicken or pork on the grill I just mix it with some oil and vinegar for marinade. The allspice comes through very forward in this. Although I usually use Grace or Walkerwoods I actually used a brand called Caribbean Sunshine. I went back and corrected my initial post after seeing my note on that. I think they are all close to the same. If you love jerk I think this jerky will blow your mind! I’m addicted lol I could likely hook you up with a teaspoon or two of the pepper powder I used too
Never been there and I defer to you on authenticity but I prefer the fresh jerk paste over jarred but it's ingredient heavy to make from scratch. I think I can hack it with the jar to my liking with a few things. I feel the jar stuff is missing that menthol onion spice hit the fresh has but the base flavor is there for sure along with the heat. I've run enough jerk pork to know that it takes on a legit beef flavor so the jerky is no doubt killer with the bonus being cheaper using pork.

Never been there and I defer to you on authenticity but I prefer the fresh jerk paste over jarred but it's ingredient heavy to make from scratch. I think I can hack it with the jar to my liking with a few things. I feel the jar stuff is missing that menthol onion spice hit the fresh has but the base flavor is there for sure along with the heat. I've run enough jerk pork to know that it takes on a legit beef flavor so the jerky is no doubt killer with the bonus being cheaper using pork.
For sure. In Jamaica for jerk pork and chicken are the go to meats, maybe a goat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky