First dive into jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
After seeing Joe and Steve crank out the delicious Asian jerky I just had to jump in. I’ve meant to make jerky for the better part of a year after Robert sent me the dehydrator he retired. I prepped around 21 lbs starting weight pork loin. Trimmed well and went with roughly 1/4” slices against the grain on my Chefs Choice slicer. Didn’t take a lot of pics other than the finishes. All we’re done at 160F in a Nesco Pro. I used my buddies so I could stack the trays from mine and his for 10 trays total. First up was an Asian version modeled after Joe’s post here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/asian-pork-jerky.315430/#post-2338289 I didn’t have gojuchang handy so made a few tweaks. I doubled the chili garlic sauce, triples the sweetener as I used Brown Swerve, added 2 T gojucharu Korean pepper flakes to replace the missing smokiness of the gojuchang and finally added about 1 t of msg for the 10 lbs. I also used cure #1 at the rate of 1t per 5 lbs. I hit it all with with extra red pepper flakes as I loaded the dehydrator. This batch took overall around 7-8 hours for all to finish. Just delicious! Here is a little of the finished product
618A1F89-8FE3-46EF-A332-203CD7AC1976.jpeg
Next up was a version that’s been on my to do list for close to two years. I am huge fan of jerk pork. When we hit Jamaica I eat it daily!! This is my nod to some of the best spicy food ever. Again roughly 10 lbs of pork 1/4” slice against grain. Marinade for 10 lbs was 1 cup Brown Swerve , 2 cups lime juice , 1 cup olive oil, 8T tamari (can use soy) 1 cup water and lastly a 10 oz. jar of Caribbean Sunshine mild jerk paste. I had the mild in the pantry so added 1/2 t of a red savine habanero and fatali pepper powder blend to amp it up. That it did!! Again used cure #1 at 1t per 5 lbs of meat. Marinaded overnight. This too far longerat around 10+ hours for all to finish. I did not disappoint. I keep it outside in the garage frig to slow down my consumption lol. Pic doesn’t do the flavor justice. If you love jerk this is a MUST!!
4FE2B890-1ED3-4012-B870-9CBCCC9695B6.jpeg
I had about a lbs of meat left so tried a recipe I found online for bbq jerky. I used pork instead of beef. This is good but will get a lot of mods before I make again. I made enough for 5 lbs as I meant to get more meat but ran short on time. Marinade per 5 lbs 1 cup Brown Swerve , 1t black pepper, 1 2/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 2/3 cup no sugar added ketchup, 2T onion powder, 2T ground mustard powder, 1T garlic powder, 1T salt and my initial mod adding 2T smoked paprika. 1t cure # for 5 lbs.This is tasty but just a little too ketchup forward. I’ll add Worcestershire, more smoked paprika and bump up the salt next time.
194A1751-BCE7-4637-8D9E-C055A0DD9D1A.jpeg
Passed out a lot of samplers and actually have people trying to place orders lol. Good chance I’ll take those orders at $25-$28 / lbs. That’s a wrap. I have one more version planned yet this week if work let’s up a little. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
YUMMMMM YUMMMMMMMM ... Oh my lord... that looks fantastic... and it's so easy. ..

Let me ask... did you pat dry before going in dehydrator ??

If you have the means... you could also use a smokehouse or smoker that will run that low of temps and add smoke to it ... I prefer this method as I don't pat dry when going in.. so I can run a drip pan underneath to catch drippings and have that much less of a mess ...

Reactions: jcam222
I did not pay dry as the liquid looked to me like it would be awesome glazed on the outside. Definitely sure it extended the time but man it’s good.

Merciful heavens Jeff!! All of that looks fantastic. From a visual aspect the jerked version looks less appealing than the other two but being a huge fan of jerked pork also, that'd be my first try. My next Costco run is gonna include a couple pork loins, I can promise you that :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Steve H and jcam222
After seeing Joe and Steve crank out the delicious Asian jerky I just had to jump in. I’ve meant to make jerky for the better part of a year after Robert sent me the dehydrator he retired. I prepped around 21 lbs starting weight pork loin. Trimmed well and went with roughly 1/4” slices against the grain on my Chefs Choice slicer. Didn’t take a lot of pics other than the finishes. All we’re done at 160F in a Nesco Pro. I used my buddies so I could stack the trays from mine and his for 10 trays total. First up was an Asian version modeled after Joe’s post here https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/asian-pork-jerky.315430/#post-2338289 I didn’t have gojuchang handy so made a few tweaks. I doubled the chili garlic sauce, triples the sweetener as I used Brown Swerve, added 2 T gojucharu Korean pepper flakes to replace the missing smokiness of the gojuchang and finally added about 1 t of msg for the 10 lbs. I also used cure #1 at the rate of 1t per 5 lbs. I hit it all with with extra red pepper flakes as I loaded the dehydrator. This batch took overall around 7-8 hours for all to finish. Just delicious! Here is a little of the finished product View attachment 635448Next up was a version that’s been on my to do list for close to two years. I am huge fan of jerk pork. When we hit Jamaica I eat it daily!! This is my nod to some of the best spicy food ever. Again roughly 10 lbs of pork 1/4” slice against grain. Marinade for 10 lbs was 1 cup Brown Swerve , 2 cups lime juice , 1 cup olive oil, 8T tamari (can use soy) 1 cup water and lastly a 10 oz. jar of Grace mild jerk paste. I had the mild in the pantry so added 1/2 t of a red savine habanero and fatali pepper powder blend to amp it up. That it did!! Again used cure #1 at 1t per 5 lbs of meat. Marinaded overnight. This too far longerat around 10+ hours for all to finish. I did not disappoint. I keep it outside in the garage frig to slow down my consumption lol. Pic doesn’t do the flavor justice. If you love jerk this is a MUST!!View attachment 635449I had about a lbs of meat left so tried a recipe I found online for bbq jerky. I used pork instead of beef. This is good but will get a lot of mods before I make again. I made enough for 5 lbs as I meant to get more meat but ran short on time. Marinade per 5 lbs 1 cup Brown Swerve , 1t black pepper, 1 2/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1 2/3 cup no sugar added ketchup, 2T onion powder, 2T ground mustard powder, 1T garlic powder, 1T salt and my initial mod adding 2T smoked paprika. 1t cure # for 5 lbs.This is tasty but just a little too ketchup forward. I’ll add Worcestershire, more smoked paprika and bump up the salt next time.View attachment 635450Passed out a lot of samplers and actually have people trying to place orders lol. Good chance I’ll take those orders at $25-$28 / lbs. That’s a wrap. I have one more version planned yet this week if work let’s up a little. Thanks for looking.
Looks awesome - how long and at what temp did you run dehydrator? Happy with tenderness?

Merciful heavens Jeff!! All of that looks fantastic. From a visual aspect the jerked version looks less appealing than the other two but being a huge fan of jerked pork also, that'd be my first try. My next Costco run is gonna include a couple pork loins, I can promise you that :emoji_wink:

Robert
100% what I thought when taking the pics. Looked so plain I almost didn’t use the pic. That said it is just out of bounds on flavor. It’s the best jerky I’ve ever had for my tastes and that of 3 friends so far. Definitely give it a go.

When you said you were getting into jerky, I expected some good things but jerk pork jerky... Jaw on floor. TOTALLY making this asap. You are really close to the "easy" jerk version I am working on using the jarred stuff as a base. I am tempted to add green onion and more allspice. Also still working on jerk bbq sauce. I think the above could be a mother and add ketchup, vinegar, beer, or etc to reach a sauce.

Hot damn, nice jerky Jeff! It doesn’t take much to get hooked on the stuff.

I want to give the Jerk style a whirl, how much sugar would it be if I used regular brown instead of Swerve?

Wow! Those look incredible! Awesome work, I gotta say I admire your generosity giving away samples, I think I would hoard that stash like Halloween candy!

Sure looks like pure money to me! Awesome job!

Ryan

There’s a million recipes for jerky and it looks like you picked some good ones. Nice work.

Looks great Jeff! I'm thinking of using a dehydrator again instead of using the oven.

Looks fantastic. I will send you postage so I can do the taste test :-)

Great Job on that Jerky Jeff!!!

Point for sure
Chris

You done good, Jeff. Looks phenomenal, it really does...
Thanks guys! I suspected when I started that I’d be hooked. I was right lol. Going to do more jerk this weekend. Thanks for the kind words.

Hot damn, nice jerky Jeff! It doesn’t take much to get hooked on the stuff.

I want to give the Jerk style a whirl, how much sugar would it be if I used regular brown instead of Swerve?
Joe I think I’d start with half the amount and taste test prior to adding the cure. I find for my taste it takes about double when using the sub. The end flavor profile is not sweet at all. Note I used the mild version and added heat myself. I think if you used a whole jar of hot it would be too much. I may try it though lol.

When you said you were getting into jerky, I expected some good things but jerk pork jerky... Jaw on floor. TOTALLY making this asap. You are really close to the "easy" jerk version I am working on using the jarred stuff as a base. I am tempted to add green onion and more allspice. Also still working on jerk bbq sauce. I think the above could be a mother and add ketchup, vinegar, beer, or etc to reach a sauce.
I am huge jerk fan. Half the places I’ve eaten in Jamaica use Grace or Walkerwoods I think. I’ve done fresh and frankly I think the jarred stuff is just as good. When I do chicken or pork on the grill I just mix it with some oil and vinegar for marinade. The allspice comes through very forward in this. Although I usually use Grace or Walkerwoods I actually used a brand called Caribbean Sunshine. I went back and corrected my initial post after seeing my note on that. I think they are all close to the same. If you love jerk I think this jerky will blow your mind! I’m addicted lol I could likely hook you up with a teaspoon or two of the pepper powder I used too
DC4F0B4C-0D74-4CD4-88DD-7B0EA924E660.png

Reactions: zwiller
Looks great Jeff! I'm thinking of using a dehydrator again instead of using the oven.
Steve I did one small amount of the Asian in the oven as it wouldn’t fit in the dehydrator batch. I put it on a cooling rack set in a pan to catch any dripping. Went 170F until it was done. It honestly was great.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky