FIRE WENT OUT! Any advice for a "stop and start?"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nyc smoke

Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Folks I'm ashamed to say I let the vent on the bottom of my trusty Pit Barrel Smoker get loose (and told myself "I'll tighten up that screw later!" and oh boy, now it's later) and it slid shut last night in the middle of an overnight 12 lb. Brisket smoke. Woke up to a cold fire and a dry, cold Brisket in limbo...

I restocked and restarted the smoker (with Humphrey's all natural mesquite briquettes) and got it back up to 225. Spritzed the meat and reset the probes. Hmmm....

I'm fully prepared for this to end up as beef jerky, but ANY ADVICE on what to do in the second half of this game?

You should be fine. Yours is not the first smoker that died overnight...JJ

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Well after restarting and spending the morning back in the barrel, not so bad, but not my finest brisket either... Sliced and served the point and middle portions at a friend's party, they were moist and everyone loved them. Took the ends and dry, flat portions home with me to chop for brisket and potato hash. THANK YOU ALL for your encouragement!

Well after restarting and spending the morning back in the barrel, not so bad, but not my finest brisket either... Sliced and served the point and middle portions at a friend's party, they were moist and everyone loved them. Took the ends and dry, flat portions home with me to chop for brisket and potato hash. THANK YOU ALL for your encouragement!
Good call on what to use the less desirable portions for!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky