Fire went out on Brisket - not sure when, doh!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

simpstasmoke

Original poster
Oct 29, 2023
Hey y’all!! I was smoking a ~10lb brisket overnight and woke up to no fire (I ran out of fuel like a dope). I estimate the fire ran for no less than 4 hours, possibly up to 8 hours set at 225 degrees. It’s snowing here in Colorado so when I woke up internal temp was 85 degrees, there was a good bark but grill temp was probably 32 degrees. (EDIT: yes, I have a good remote thermometer, but I sleep like a rock and/or hate being terrified awake by alarms).

I’ve since fired up the smoker back to 225 and plan to smoke until IT is 203, rest for a few hours and then finish on a hot grill. The meat was NOT injected and did not even have a probe until morning. Dry brined in salt and rubbed with a salt-based rub. I feel like I’m on the safe side judging from what I’ve read, but would love an expert opinion.

UPDATE: I finished the cook to 203, rested and then finished on a hot grill. It came out a bit dry but otherwise seemed fine. No food poisoning I am aware of. I think it’s safe to say — a) it was above 140 when fire cut out 2) the meat was 100% intact - no punctures 3) it cooled quickly in CO night air and 4) it had a nice salt/rub layer. Without all of these four variables, I might have made a different decision. Thanks for the thoughtful input everyone - happy smoking!!

Last edited:
First, welcome to the group from down south in New Mexico.

I'm no expert on food safety, but since it is undetermined how long fire was out, it may be questionable IMO.
Others more knowledgeable will likely chime in.

Regardless, this should be a sign to get yourself a good remote thermometer with alarms you can set to prevent these types of things of happening.

Reactions: simpstasmoke
You have so many variables involved. Don’t know what IT got to, don’t know smoker temp., big difference between 4 hours & 8 hours. The plus is you did not inject. If it were me I would probably just finish it up & eat it. You said it had good bark, so that would mean to me that it probably did get above 140 & cooled down quickly in the cold temps. It is ultimately your call.
Al

The problem is you are having to guess. I have had food poisoning so I am really gun shy on this type of deal. As much as I would hate to throw this meat away, I would if it happened to me.
Just my opinion.

I would say you easily made it to being safe to eat if it formed bark. But if you don't want to be scared awake by an alarm I'm thinking long overnight cooks aren't for you. Not sure what smoker you use but start early in the morning and smoke at 275, you'll get it done much faster.

Ryan

Your good to continue the cook till 203 IT or when it probes tender. Even C. Botulinum toxins are proteins and others can be denatured at 176 for 20 min or 185 for 5 min. but your going to get butts, brisket and ribs to the same temp for tenderness and the finished IT for tenderness will have an outside temp within 20 degrees of the set smoker temp and that will be sterilized. That's why Chef Jimmy J said it doesn't matter if intact meat takes 4 or 24 hours to get to 140 IT since it's inherently sterile inside or at least void of foodbourne pathogens if you even want it that high. The outside of the meat was probably salted, sugared with a decent rub or salt alone and pepper, forms of food preservation and pasteurized in the first hour at 225+. Go to Food Safety Forum and there are several pinned threads at the top that are common must reads. The link below is your scenario.

Your good to continue the cook till 203 IT or when it probes tender. Even C. Botulinum toxins are proteins and others can be denatured at 176 for 20 min or 185 for 5 min. but your going to get butts, brisket and ribs to the same temp for tenderness and the finished IT for tenderness will have an outside temp within 20 degrees of the set smoker temp and that will be sterilized. That's why Chef Jimmy J said it doesn't matter if intact meat takes 4 or 24 hours to get to 140 IT since it's inherently sterile inside or at least void of foodbourne pathogens if you even want it that high. The outside of the meat was probably salted, sugared with a decent rub or salt alone and pepper, forms of food preservation and pasteurized in the first hour at 225+. Go to Food Safety Forum and there are several pinned threads at the top that are common must reads. The link below is your scenario.
Glad you brought this up... had forgotten it was there!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky