Is my brisket safe?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zsc409

Original poster
Dec 16, 2022
Hey guys, I'm new to this page but not new to smoking. I have never smoked on a pellet grill before because I've always been against them and have always smoked on stick burners. I started a brisket at 10pm on a pellet grill for the first time last night and sometime (idk when) had to have been really early in the cook, the smoker had a flame out and it stopped cooking. I woke up this morning at 645am and the smoker was cold and brisket was about 45F. I'm assuming the flame went out early and it's been chilling in the 45F weather. Should I throw it out, or should I fire it back up and take my chances? I've had people tell me they have let a brisket sit on the counter for 8-9 hours before to marinate so I'm not sure what I should do.

Hey guys, I'm new to this page but not new to smoking. I have never smoked on a pellet grill before because I've always been against them and have always smoked on stick burners. I started a brisket at 10pm on a pellet grill for the first time last night and sometime (idk when) had to have been really early in the cook, the smoker had a flame out and it stopped cooking. I woke up this morning at 645am and the smoker was cold and brisket was about 45F. I'm assuming the flame went out early and it's been chilling in the 45F weather. Should I throw it out, or should I fire it back up and take my chances? I've had people tell me they have let a brisket sit on the counter for 8-9 hours before to marinate so I'm not sure what I should do.
I should also add that the brisket is intact. No injecting, just dry rub of salt, black pepper, and garlic.

I would still use it. FDA says 40 degrees is safe to store for period of time, I know when my fridge gets overloaded it goes above 40. But the time period it sat does not sound bad…to me. I’ll probably be beat up for that, but I have a high risk tolerance and that sounds well within the bounds.

Your safe, here's some good reading if your worried. The 4th paragraph.

I would cook it if it smells good before and after I would eat It with no worries probably do a hot smoke at first though

Intact, (salt and garlic are anti microbial) and just 45° outside. Needs to continue cooking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky