Finally got the bark I've been searching for

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

concordeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Mullens, WV
 Decided to fix a Butt yesterday to eat on this weekend. It was a medium sized bone-in butt from my local grocery store. I opened her up and rinsed her off really well and rubbed her down with a good coat of yellow mustard. 

Made up my own rub combo of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, old bay, and chili powder. 

Put a light dust over every inch of the butt.

Got my go-to commerical rub called Tex-Rex BBQ Rub. I put a liberal coat of this rub on as well. I topped it with Parkay squeeze butter and a handful of brown sugar. 

Put a chimney of royal oak hardwood lump charcoal in the side box and threw a couple of splits of apple wood on top. Let that flame and burn until the smoke turned invisible and closed her up. She hit 305 at grade level. Put the butt on and probed her after 4 hours. She read 142. The smoker ran between 300 and 280 constantly all day.  I spritzed her one time with apple juice and cider vinegar. When she hit 160 I put her in a foil pan and wrapped her up tight and let her coast to 210. Took her off the smoker and placed the pan in the oven with the door closed for 2 hours.

Made a finishing sauce of apple cider vinegar, worchester sauce, garlic, pepper, ketchup, brown sugar, white sugar, apple juice. Mixed the finishing sauce in and pulled her apart with two forks. The bone fell out and the bark was so thick it and so dark brown it almost looked black. Had an awesome taste and held together really good. I like a good firm bark on my barbecue. 

Total Cook Time was 5 Hrs. 30 Minutes at 300 degrees. 

I was really happy with the results. My phone is getting fixed at AT&T or I would have taken Q-View. 

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky