For the love of, Pyrex!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yikes!!!!! Scoooooooooooore!

Charleroli Pennsylvania is where the United States Pyrex is made. It is 23 miles up the Monongahela River from my house. Corning Glass Works now owns Pyrex and it is made in Germany and France as well as in Charleroli Pennsylvania.

That is the kind of Super Bowl I would like to win!

Congratulations Dan,

John

Reactions: forktender
Nice grab. Good thing it was too heavy for her and you.

It pays to be nice to your neighbours once in a while.

David
David, you have no idea how close I was to saying that I'm too busy.
She can be a royal P.I.T.A. at times it seems like I work on her house more than mine, I need to learn to say no at times.

David, you have no idea how close I was to saying that I'm too busy.
She can be a royal P.I.T.A. at times it seems like I work on her house more than mine, I need to learn to say no at times.

I hear you Dan, I know a someone like that also. Nice enough person but if im out in the yard working
She thinks its ok to say when you have a second could you just give me a hand with this or that. And I am
a very good neighbour so I do , but that is also what I do for a business with some of the things she asks .

But I must say it paid for you to help her out that time LOL

David

I remember mom having a lot of these dishes when I was growing up. She gave me one when I moved out and told me that everyone needs at least one. I'll see them at the thrift stores every now and then, but I've never bothered to pick any more up.

I remember mom having a lot of these dishes when I was growing up. She gave me one when I moved out and told me that everyone needs at least one. I'll see them at the thrift stores every now and then, but I've never bothered to pick any more up.
You should, they work awesome in the oven and microwave.
I use at least one of them almost every day, it's good stuff.

What you have is mostly Corning Ware - Not Pyrex.

Pyrex is the clear glass cookware. It's fame was being temperature shock safe/stable. You could take it from the fridge directly to a hot oven safely.
When Corning Ware sold it the new owners changed the glass that had been used. I believe it was from Schott glass to sodium????
What ever change was made it was no longer temp safe but the new glass did have better impact/shatter resistance.
The old glass is still used to make cookware but you have to be diligent with your research when you buy. IIRC most of the old glass was being used in Europe.
Now, all that was as of the last I knew and stuff changes daily. Don't blindly buy pyrex and expect it to be the same it always was or be safe and treat all pyrex like it is not temp safe.

You are correct, my Noni always called it Pyrex, so that is what I accustom too calling it. I believe the clear glass lids are actually Pyrex, if I remember correctly.:emoji_thumbsup:

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Monday trip through the Goodwill .
Found a couple things .
Another 1 quart dish A-1-B
and an 8" round cake pan 221 ( straight sides ) with the lid .
$4.74 each .
Just checked my receipt to see what the total was ,,,
Seems I was on the right " color " day . 75% off .
Total for all 3 pieces ( 2 bodies and 1 lid ) $5.92 .
20240304_110825.jpg
Bought that cake pan for my son . He's been making biscuits .
Should work good for that .
20240304_120956.jpg

Monday trip through the Goodwill .
Found a couple things .
Another 1 quart dish A-1-B
and an 8" round cake pan 221 ( straight sides ) with the lid .
$4.74 each .
Just checked my receipt to see what the total was ,,,
Seems I was on the right " color " day . 75% off .
Total for all 3 pieces ( 2 bodies and 1 lid ) $5.92 .

Wow , you must be Rich ( lol ) paying that kind of money.

What a great score, Love the cake pan/dish with the cover.
We have one that is a little more rounded from the bottom. And maybe 10" -11 " across. never really measured . But now I will.
Love it for baking S + S meatballs , and things like that.

David

Reactions: chopsaw
My mom still has some of that older Pyrex, and still uses it to this day. We had some but it broke over the years so we have some of the newer stuff.

I still like the older stuff better. :)

What a great score, Love the cake pan/dish with the cover.
We have one that is a little more rounded from the bottom. And maybe 10" -11 " across.
I have some of those too . This cake pan is only 2 " or so deep . Be great for biscuits .
We grew up in Corning, NY. Dad worked for Corning.
That's cool .

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky