Fermented Habanero Garlic sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Third batch of hot sauce for this month bottled and labeled. This one is the blend that started my obsession last year. Orange habanero ferment. 4 weeks in a 3.5% brine. Finished with heavy garlic, a little salt and sweetener along with xanthan gum to prevent separation. Immediately fiery on the lips and tongue creeping into the throat with a hint of sweet on finish. Great on tacos. Named after my friends son Aiden as he loved it last year and hoarded their bottles. I have 6 more half gallons for several blends going. Most of those I’ll process in 2 weeks
77056825-ECC0-45D1-99F2-DCD4F3C5D4C8.jpeg

Wow...you go all out on your labels and bottles! Very creative name once again! I like it!

*probably kills taste buds on contact too!!! LOL!!!
I try lol. This one I named last year and his son just loved it. I redesigned the label a bit this year as I improve on that. I am looking for a better more intuitive program for labeling. This one is hot on the lips and lingers quite awhile!

Reactions: indaswamp
Nice . I just bought generic labels and some shrink covers . Should be here soon .
This becomes an obsession fast .
Love that color .
These shrinks didn’t work as well as ones I’ve used in the past. They worked but didn’t shrink up evenly. It’s an obsession for sure. I’m considering switching to plastic bottles. The glass bottles are just too high in cost unless you buy a pallet load.

Reactions: chopsaw
You use a hair dryer ?
Wonder if you snip the length some ?
I love the garlic in the sauces too . I have 2 small ones going .

Reactions: jcam222
You use a hair dryer ?
Wonder if you snip the length some ?
I love the garlic in the sauces too . I have 2 small ones going .
I did use a hairdryer. Usually works great. I did order a new heat gun last year. I put it up so good I can’t find it lol. These seemed too thick.

So cool!
I'm about to turn some peppers that have been fermenting for 13 months into sauces. Separation doesn't bother me, I know how to shake a bottle 😂.
But I want to give some as gifts. I have 3 colors of stupid hot peppers I want to make gift sets with. The sets will look much nicer if they don't separate.
Sorry this was a lot of words to ask, how much xantham gum do you add?

So cool!
I'm about to turn some peppers that have been fermenting for 13 months into sauces. Separation doesn't bother me, I know how to shake a bottle 😂.
But I want to give some as gifts. I have 3 colors of stupid hot peppers I want to make gift sets with. The sets will look much nicer if they don't separate.
Sorry this was a lot of words to ask, how much xantham gum do you add?
Start with an 1/8t per quart. I’ve done 1/4t if the sauce also needed thickened. Which peppers are you using?

Reactions: indaswamp
Start with an 1/8t per quart. I’ve done 1/4t if the sauce also needed thickened. Which peppers are you using?
A neighbor grew like 12 or more varieties last year. Different colors of the typical suspects. Reapers, ghosts, I can't remember them all. He called me last Oct and told me to come over real quick. He had literally 1/3 of a full sized wheel barrow full and told me take as much as I wanted.

Attachments

• PXL_20211023_222807074.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    PXL_20211023_222807074.PORTRAIT~2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20211003_222504923.jpg
    PXL_20211003_222504923.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 10
A neighbor grew like 12 or more varieties last year. Different colors of the typical suspects. Reapers, ghosts, I can't remember them all. He called me last Oct and told me to come over real quick. He had literally 1/3 of a full sized wheel barrow full and told me take as much as I wanted.
Gorgeous peppers!! Looks like the one jar might be a chocolate reaper or scorpion?

Gorgeous peppers!! Looks like the one jar might be a chocolate reaper or scorpion?
Yeah, he had a killer harvest.. These were what was left after he saved his and gave away to everyone else he wanted to, the literal bottom of the wheel barrow, lol.
They are chocolate, not sure of the variety.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky