hABSOLUTELY HABANERO Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Awhile back I posted how pleased I was to score beautiful red habaneros at Kroger for $3.99 / lbs. I'd have been thrilled if even double that price as I rarely come across them in stores. I really looked forward to finishing this sauce with plans to keep it very pepper forward and basic. Here is the finish , 4 week fermented red habanero with a touch of garlic and onion post ferment. Natural ferment brine and a touch of vinegar add tang while about 60% habanero brings moderate heat. Nice hint of the garlic and onion on finish. Perfect all around table sauce. Of the 12 bottles I will be keeping a minimum of 4 for personal stash. I really love this sauce. I make flavors like Chile lime , mango etc but straight pepper sauces are my personal favs. 1 bottle will be included in my contribution to the next throwdown judges choice prize. Thanks for looking
PXL_20230708_165217366-01.jpeg
PXL_20230708_175623332-01.jpeg
PXL_20230808_232050536-01.jpeg
PXL_20230810_175821687.MP~2.jpg

Nice.

Habaneros are one of the few things that are in the grocery store year around here.
They are always on stock around me but 99.99% of the time they are orange. I use them often but prefer red. I have a bunch of red savine habanero on my plants now. Can't wait until they ripen.

Man that looks good. When I get ready to really try fermenting for my own sauce. I'm gonna need you to step by step me on the process!!

Jim

Reactions: jcam222
They are always on stock around me but 99.99% of the time they are orange. I use them often but prefer red. I have a bunch of red savine habanero on my plants now. Can't wait until they ripen.
With this Summer's crazy wet weather my scorpions are not doing anywhere as good as they should be doing. Don't even have a pepper yet on any plants.

With this Summer's crazy wet weather my scorpions are not doing anywhere as good as they should be doing. Don't even have a pepper yet on any plants.
Something is chewing on my scorpions. Not to touching the habs or ghost. Pissing Me off and can't figure out what it is.

Looks great, red and orange habs are $5.99/lb around here. I look to have a ton of ghost peppers coming on my plants out back.

Man that looks good. When I get ready to really try fermenting for my own sauce. I'm gonna need you to step by step me on the process!!

Jim
Looking forward to passing along the addiction!!
Man Jcam, you are knocking the hot sauces out of the park buddy! Looks Hawesome!!!
Thanks! I like what you did there 😂
Looks great, red and orange habs are $5.99/lb around here. I look to have a ton of ghost peppers coming on my plants out back.
My 3 ghosts have quite a few pods, my red savine habanero are loaded. The chocolate habanero are not nearly as prolific. Hoping to get enough for at least one batch of sauce from them. I'd have Butch T scorpion rolling outt ears soon if I can figure out what's chewing on the pods. Last thing I have is a white coyote. Really looking forward to it.

Looking forward to passing along the addiction!!

Thanks! I like what you did there 😂

My 3 ghosts have quite a few pods, my red savine habanero are loaded. The chocolate habanero are not nearly as prolific. Hoping to get enough for at least one batch of sauce from them. I'd have Butch T scorpion rolling outt ears soon if I can figure out what's chewing on the pods. Last thing I have is a white coyote. Really looking forward to it.
nice, If you don't mind me asking, where do you source your bottles, shrink wrap tops and black labels?

nice, If you don't mind me asking, where do you source your bottles, shrink wrap tops and black labels?
Labels I use I can link at some point. They are really not a good or so intuitive template. I'm looking for something better as in glossy with a mote intuitive label program. These are about the best buy on 5 oz bottles without buying by the pallet. They come with the cap, orifice and shrink band. It shrinks fast and uniformly with a heat gun. Hot Sauce Woozy Bottles Empty 5... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F2S359?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Labels I use I can link at some point. They are really not a good or so intuitive template. I'm looking for something better as in glossy with a mote intuitive label program. These are about the best buy on 5 oz bottles without buying by the pallet. They come with the cap, orifice and shrink band. It shrinks fast and uniformly with a heat gun. Hot Sauce Woozy Bottles Empty 5... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077F2S359?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Thanks what about these gloss labels? I am creatively challenged but I am in the print business and would have my designer set something up when I do this.

for laser/digital printing

or inkjet?

They even have a pdf template for these.

The color on that is incredible! Mine ready to process this weekend. I quess you check the ph after you have it all blended? Do you reuse the brine? I thinking of heating it to stop fermentation. Would that alter the taste? I know I been a pain lately but I really appreciate the help bud.

I have one that is almost there. My first time with habs and just touching the empty spoon to my tongue after mixing it was like licking a 9v battery. :emoji_confounded:

View attachment 673176
Wait until you blend in the solids :)
Looking really good Jeff! I'm thinking about making more soon.
Thanks Steve!
The color on that is incredible! Mine ready to process this weekend. I quess you check the ph after you have it all blended? Do you reuse the brine? I thinking of heating it to stop fermentation. Would that alter the taste? I know I been a pain lately but I really appreciate the help bud.
I check PH first on the brine to insure a successful and safe ferment. I also check it after blending. I usually use a small amount of vinegar when blending so PH is typically even lower. I think this last one was 2.9 - 3% post blend. I high speed blend in Vitamix which usually heats enough but I do no other heating of the sauce. Stored in frig even if fermenting it's super slow. I save some of my brines to use as starters or even sauce on their own. Great spicy sub flavor wise for vinegar in dressings, aoili etc.

My plants are going fine, got some tiny little peppers, the next week should tell if I get a decent crop. Not sure what I’ll do with the Reapers yet…

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky