Fermented Galic Honey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Of course what "fermented" the garlic/honey is unknown. Generally fermentation lowers pH and increases alcohol enough that pathogens can't grow. It maybe due to the yeast on the garlic as well as acetic acid bacteria. Honey has a very high osmotic pressure so this also kills many pathogens and unwanted bacteria. Of course if the garlic had pathogens you would get sick potentially. I can't vouch for how the mead might taste. Mead is best when it is aged due the various fermentation by products being a bit "hot".

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Of course what "fermented" the garlic/honey is unknown. Generally fermentation lowers pH and increases alcohol enough that pathogens can't grow. It maybe due to the yeast on the garlic as well as acetic acid bacteria. Honey has a very high osmotic pressure so this also kills many pathogens and unwanted bacteria. Of course if the garlic had pathogens you would get sick potentially. I can't vouch for how the mead might taste. Mead is best when it is aged due the various fermentation by products being a bit "hot".
Great information. Thank you very much for that

I'm a research scientist and homebrewed for years. I'm a geek
Very interesting! I think it's great to meet such a wide range of people with different backgrounds in what they do for a living. I almost got into making wine but decided not to do it since I can't drink it any longer. I wanted to have some homemade strawberry wine so bad lol

So curiosity got the best of me and had to try a piece of garlic before the 2 week mark. Fermentation is clearly still going on, constant bubbles coming to the top and honey has consistency of water. Few garlic are turning a darker color but most still have a white appearance. Tasted a clove, the strong garlic taste has subsided quite a bit but its definitely still present. Honey has a slight garlic flavor to it at the moment. Keep you posted as I notice changes.

Attachments

• 20220115_110305.jpg
    20220115_110305.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 15
Sorry One Eyed, i did glance at it Saturday and noticed signs of fermentation still taking place but that's as far as I got. Been curled up on the couch until today with one of our new world viruses lol. This weekend, I will pop the lid and find out what we have.

Reactions: one eyed jack
Interesting. I wanted to do garlic olive oil, but was told not a very good idea.
I have seen garlic and olive oil done but it was more of a cooked process to infuse the oil with garlic. Never heard of fermenting with oil, but I'm still new to fermenting.

Reactions: TNJAKE
You drink mead and catch a buzz.

The homebrewer in me would think adding a mead yeast or champagne yeast would give you a cleaner product than whatever wild yeast are in there.

Sure if you dont pasturize the honey the wild yeast will still be there but their flavor contribution would be muted. I have brewed beers where the beer yeast did not take off and whatever wild fell in there fermented the beer. Disgusting band-aid and other assorted nasty flavors.

• Haha
Reactions: Cajun Smokes
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky