Habanero / Scorpion Ferment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I got my small plants in the ground Memorial Day weekend. With the long growing cycle of hot peppers I hope to get at least a month and a half of harvest into fall. I'm considering an indoor grow tent to start much earlier next year.

At our last house before here, I had a nice greenhouse set up. I would start a lot of my flowers and some veg in Feb.
I had a small tent set up in that greenhouse for a starting bed . Had auto exhaust fan and sprinklers set up. It was approx. 12 X 10
Propane furnace for heat.
It really did not save me any money. But I could grow what I wanted. It was cheaper to buy transplants, but I really enjoyed it back then.

David

At our last house before here, I had a nice greenhouse set up. I would start a lot of my flowers and some veg in Feb.
I had a small tent set up in that greenhouse for a starting bed . Had auto exhaust fan and sprinklers set up. It was approx. 12 X 10
Propane furnace for heat.
It really did not save me any money. But I could grow what I wanted. It was cheaper to buy transplants, but I really enjoyed it back then.

David
Totally get it. If I do the indoor grow tent it will cost me at least $550 used up front and then at least $50 a month in electricity. Hobby wise as compared to many I suppose that isn't bad at all.

You got it happening Jeff!! Also continuing to turn out some amazing fermented hot sauces. Hey everybody...don't forget that Jeff has donated 3 bottles of this sauces as a TD prize and I'm telling you from experience, it DOES NOT get any better than what he's turning out. The stuff is addictive.

Robert

You got it happening Jeff!! Also continuing to turn out some amazing fermented hot sauces. Hey everybody...don't forget that Jeff has donated 3 bottles of this sauces as a TD prize and I'm telling you from experience, it DOES NOT get any better than what he's turning out. The stuff is addictive.

Robert
I'll vouch for that! Jeff's sauces are top notch.

Reactions: jcam222

Robert

I'll vouch for that! Jeff's sauces are top notch.
Appreciate it guys! It is definitely a passion of mine. Really looking forward to using own peppers.

My four year old batch of Carolina Reaper ferment, no vinegar added for the benefit of the living probiotic Lactobacillus, and kept in the fridge is almost gone. I'm going to try the vacuum bag ferment this Fall. Freeze whole Trinidad Scorpions as they ripen to get a batch. Make a 4% brine and mash the peppers then add to the brine in an open vac bag and freeze. Make the bag 2-3 Xs the length needed Then vac seal frozen mash and leave out. It'll turn into a CO2 pillow standing on end. When it appear to want to burst pierce at the top near the seal to purge out some CO2 and seal with scotch tape and double reseal below it.

Looks like a great start Jeff and I’ll be at the finish line! I gotta get some more going this summer.
Thanks Joe! Peppers sure are cheaper in the summer!
My four year old batch of Carolina Reaper ferment, no vinegar added for the benefit of the living probiotic Lactobacillus, and kept in the fridge is almost gone. I'm going to try the vacuum bag ferment this Fall. Freeze whole Trinidad Scorpions as they ripen to get a batch. Make a 4% brine and mash the peppers then add to the brine in an open vac bag and freeze. Make the bag 2-3 Xs the length needed Then vac seal frozen mash and leave out. It'll turn into a CO2 pillow standing on end. When it appear to want to burst pierce at the top near the seal to purge out some CO2 and seal with scotch tape and double reseal below it.
I'm out of my reaper blend I made around Christmas. I miss it and it's blistering heat lol. I didn't find any good reaper plants until too late but should have a close second in tons of scorpions. I may try a vacuum pack batch this year although I really like the brine method as I use a lot of it iny finished sauces. I also enjoy the brine on its own as a milder hot sauce in place of vinegar in dishes.
Oh man.....Looking good.

Jim
Thanks Jim. I've got to keep an eye on it for activity. With all store bought and dehydrated peppers it might be slow to ferment. If it's not bubbling in a few days I'll add some brine from a prior batch as starter.

Reactions: dr k
Checked these today to unsure I had good fermentation activity. I wasn't sure using store bought and dehydrated peppers. Very active bubbling so good to go. If not I'd have added a tablespoon or two of brine I have saved from prior batches. Looking forward to this one. If PH is low enough I'll process these at 3 weeks or so.

A little update on a rainy day along with a new batch started. Here is the scorpion / orange habanero blend at 20 days. This is the second time I've used dried peppers in a ferment and second time the brine darkened. Not certain as to why that is. I'll likely process this into a sauce next weekend. I'd guess the PH is low enough to do now if I wanted.
PXL_20230708_180302040-01.jpeg
Was shocked to score these a few days ago at Kroger @ $3.99 per lbs. They have had orange routinely at that price but I've never seen red. Got about 4 1/2 lbs.
PXL_20230708_165217366-01.jpeg
Into the sterilized jars with a 3.5% sea salt / distilled water brine. Two half gallons and a quart to the basement cupboard.
PXL_20230708_175623332-01.jpeg
This should be HABSolutely awesome. I think I'll name this batch of sauce HABSolution. Now to find the right art for it. Thanks for looking!

A little update on a rainy day along with a new batch started. Here is the scorpion / orange habanero blend at 20 days. This is the second time I've used dried peppers in a ferment and second time the brine darkened. Not certain as to why that is. I'll likely process this into a sauce next weekend. I'd guess the PH is low enough to do now if I wanted. View attachment 670050Was shocked to score these a few days ago at Kroger @ $3.99 per lbs. They have had orange routinely at that price but I've never seen red. Got about 4 1/2 lbs. View attachment 670051Into the sterilized jars with a 3.5% sea salt / distilled water brine. Two half gallons and a quart to the basement cupboard. View attachment 670053This should be HABSolutely awesome. I think I'll name this batch of sauce HABSolution. Now to find the right art for it. Thanks for looking!
Looks like you'll have some lightning in the bottle before long!

Does it work as a paint stripper as well? I have an old dining room table that needs to be refinished.
I love hot food, but that stuff would most likely kill me.
:emoji_laughing:

Does it work as a paint stripper as well? I have an old dining room table that needs to be refinished.
I love hot food, but that stuff would most likely kill me.
:emoji_laughing:
We shall see this weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing what the flavor and heat level is.

Reactions: forktender
Steve I believe you used dried arbols I'm one of your ferments. Did you also get the stained / darkened brine?
Sorry Jeff. Just saw this post. I used dried cayenne peppers. The brine was stained now that I think about it. Quite similar to what you have.

Going to process the scorpion habanero blend tomorrow. Checked PH on both jars tonight and they are at 3.4. One with no Kahm and the other had the tiniest few flecks. A quick taste of the brine tells me this is going to be a nose runner LOL. The flavor adjusting process may have to be a multi day project.

Jeff, ordering my fermenting stuff today, do you like those visucs disks better than the plastic cups Steve H Steve H uses? is it possible to over ferment the peppers ie leave them in the brine too long?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky