Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How do I tell if my Markers Mark barrel is ready or gone? I am Makers Mark Ambassador # 265134.

Evan Williams Single Barrel ($28) is my personal favorite with Wellers Special Reserve ($22) close behind.

Jeffersons Ocean at sea is worth having once for contrast as you get into it.

Jeffersons Ocean at sea is worth having once for contrast as you get into it.
I was at the Kentucky Artisan Distillery that makes Jefferson's Ocean, last September. They said that the first time they experimented with the Ocean, it was kept on the ship for 3 years. When they opened one up, it was completely black, and undrinkable, due to sloshing around in the charred barrels. If I remember right, I think they settled on something like 12 months at sea now.

Bird Dog = cheap cheap.
I like Bird Dog! I haven't had the chance to try their straight whiskey, but I like a few of the flavored ones. Especially like the maple, peach, and black cherry. I will sometimes blend the peach into bbq sauce and use to glaze chicken wings. I put it on about 30 minutes before I pull them from the smoker.

Just had Crown XO and loved it. Just a note I do not like crown so I was not sure about this one but it is very smooth and no "after bite"

My go to is Jameson Irish Whiskey. I like to sip on it, NO ICE but if I do want it cold I put the bottle in the freezer.

Interesting thread. A few months old, but a fun read.

I'm an Islay single malt scotch guy. I like the complexity, smoke, and generally longer finish. I don't taste the iodine people say they taste in Islays. Neither does my wife, and she's a super-taster. I just taste great flavor.

My two favorite "under $50" Islays are Trader Joes Finlaggan Islay Single Malt ($20/750ml/80 proof) and Total Wine's Scarabus Islay Single Malt ($35/750ml/92 proof). The Scarabus gets bought up quickly here locally when available.

I will be buying Costco's Kirkland Islay Single Malt ($40/750ml/100 proof) on my next visit. Read good things about it. (Update: not available-sold out).

Sipping a Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Islay Single Malt as I type, but it's a tad more than $50 ($70). Also 100 proof, so it will be interesting to compare the Kirkland to it.

Cheers!

Ray

Last edited:
This is kind of a left to right view of my collection, in my den. Sorry about the mess.
Next to my 1933/34 Chicago World's Fair shaker, is a Pink Lemonade moonshine, made by some distant cousins at Neeley Family Distillery in Sparta, KY. Then some Blanton's...
20211001_200838.jpg

Some Whistle Pig, Four Roses Small Batch Select, and some of the last of the Elijah Craig 12-year ever made before they discontinued the age statements.
20211001_200827.jpg

Bottom shelf, to the right, is a Jim Beam "dusty" bowling pin. As near as I can figure, it was made some time between 1961 and 1973. Yes, I've opened it, and it is great.
20211001_200822.jpg

I've said before that I'm a fan of the Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof. Also there is some cask strength bourbon from Neeley Family. (No, I did not get a family discount.)
20211001_200816.jpg

Nice collection! As I said earlier, I'm also a fan of the Rittenhouse 100.

I tend to buy a bottle, drink it, then buy another, never really ending up with a collection.

Now, I have to ask: Who is the good-looking guy with the fancy sports car, and what kind of car is that? I wanted to say Studebaker Hawk, but I know that's not right.

I have two categories; mixing whiskey and sipping whiskeys. In the mix, my go to is either JD or crown royal (for all you Pantera fans, blacktooth’s…getha’ pull!!!). Almost always mixed with coke.

Then there’s the sipping type. One of my favorites is red breast Irish whiskey. Followed by others like proper 12. When it comes to bourbon my buddies are very experienced and usually give me some recommendations. My all time fave is blantons but it’s pretty much a unicorn bourbon these days.

I’m currently sipping on Evan and coke. Like my late great uncle used today; tastes just like Jack at half the price! That man loved his JD.

Bulleit Rye is decent to sip and cheap enough to make good cocktails without feeling you’re wasting it. I’m guessing you didn’t get that bottle of Glenlivet 15 French oak reserve for under $50 🤔 (if you did plz tell me where!)

Bulleit Rye is decent to sip and cheap enough to make good cocktails without feeling you’re wasting it. I’m guessing you didn’t get that bottle of Glenlivet 15 French oak reserve for under $50 🤔 (if you did plz tell me where!)
I've enjoyed Bulleit Rye myself, but if you might try Rittenhouse 100 (Bonded) or Old Overholt (Bonded). I think both have a bit better rye flavor than Bulleit and sell for about the same price. I try to have a sip or two of one of these most nights.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky