Favorite widely available bourbon or whiskey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I like SkrewBall in my coffee on mornings I don’t go to work and a recent favorite is Aberfeldy scotch whisky but I don’t recall the price.

279CAD33-B5AE-430F-BDCA-75B266D1914D.jpeg

I like a variety of them but Evan Williams is my constant.
I’ll be smoking a bowl of ice cubes (when they melt pour into ice cube trays) with some oak this weekend to enjoy a Basil Hayden and a bowl of English blend tobacco.

I'm not sure about 'widely available', but if you ever see a bottle of WW, run screaming from the bar. Cool bottle, cool label and cool barrel head... but the kerosene back-flavor lingers too long, even for my un-refined tastes.
uxb6EaA.jpg

Sometimes its much easier to have a couple of icy brews... then later, with a sidecar of Makers.
ninaMdW.jpg

The "made in USA" whiskey/bourbon/rye market is in such a crazy state of being right now. There are outrageous prices for quality and many craft brands sourcing from a few distillers (MGP, etc.). I love the YouTube Whiskey Tribe, BTW.

Bad memories of overindulging Jack Daniels ruined whiskey for me for years. Then my old man won a bottle of 25-year-old Macallan in a sales contest. He offered me some in a toast to a friend. I tried to tell him not to waste it on me, but he insisted. It was life-changing.

I've told the story of being gifted a bottle about 15 years ago of Van Winkle 12 year Special Reserve. It was $50 at the time. It was good, but dang, the wood, like sucking on a green tree branch. Even the person who gifted it to me untasted felt the same way. I used it to make BBQ sauce and got blasted on SMF when I wrote that story. The current MSRP is $80, but people are selling it for up to $2000! That's INSANE! $2000 will buy a scotch that will bring the dead back to life it's so good.

I've enjoyed Makers, Woodford, Bulleit, Balcones, etc., but my half Scot-Irish heritage keeps me shopping the scotch aisles. Kilbeggan is my favorite Irish ($25/750ml/86 proof). I've never had a cask-strength bourbon, so I think that's where I'll go next. More than $50, though.

Right now, I hear some Oban 14 calling my name.

I had some Evan Williams single barrel, the one with the dates on the bottle, gifted to me for my birthday last year. Was saving it to share with the person who gifted it to me until… yup wife’s brother in law opened the bottle and finished it. I was giving my wife very nasty looks all night until we had a chance to talk. This guy didn’t ask anyone he just opened the bottle and drank it. At least they finally went home after staying with us for two weeks and change. Keep in mind the beer fridge was constantly full. Nope, I am still not over it.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
Thanks, just took the bowl out of the smoker, let it go for little over an hour and in the freezer now.
I'm SOOOO interested in how this will turn out.

My wife asked what I wanted for Father's Day. "Ardbeg Uigeadail" was my answer. She wasn't feeling great so I offered to go get it. Got the last one on the shelf at my local Total Wine. Picked up a Scarabus Islay too while I was there (only two on the shelf).

Can't try the Uigeadail until FD. Here's my Single Malt lineup starting with my Infinity bottle on the left, then increasing from $18 to $80. The Ardbeg Ten on up were all gifts from family based on my suggestions.

20220612_151238.jpg

Last edited:
Makers mark 101 is fantastic, depends where you live, if you can find Johnny drum I Higley recommend it.

I'm SOOOO interested in how this will turn out.

My wife asked what I wanted for Father's Day. "Ardbeg Uigeadail" was my answer. She wasn't feeling great so I offered to go get it. Got the last one on the shelf at my local Total Wine. Picked up a Scarabus Islay too while I was there (only two on the shelf).

Can't try the Uigeadail until FD. Here's my Single Malt lineup starting with my Infinity bottle on the left, then increasing from $18 to $80. The Ardbeg Ten on up were all gifts from family based on my suggestions.

View attachment 634541
I picked these up last week and am looking forward to trying them.

2D24CBD6-295B-4B55-B3D7-4E9635B9C7CC.jpeg

Did you get a chance to try it out?
Yep evem made a thread about it. 1.5 hrs was too long, started out nicely but as the ice melted became overpowering. So Ive started mixing the smoked and reg ice for now, 2 reg and 1 smoked cube does the trick until I make more ice.

Reactions: Plinsc
Yep evem made a thread about it. 1.5 hrs was too long, started out nicely but as the ice melted became overpowering. So Ive started mixing the smoked and reg ice for now, 2 reg and 1 smoked cube does the trick until I make more ice.
Was the apple a good choice? I want to try that one next

Reactions: Kevin DeShazo
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky