Favorite beer while smoking and/or eating BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I usually sip an Irish whiskey or Highland scotch over a couple of ice cubes.

My wife loves Blue Moon Summer Honey Wheat with an orange squeeze, so that's what I keep stocked in the fridge, year round. We have a mandarin growing area close by. We'll go up there, buy a bunch of cheap mandarins unfit for grocery store sale, peel 'em and freeze the fruit. Tastes as fresh as just peeled when thawed. Works great in the beer too.

When I'm in the mood for a beer, I like something with body. Deschutes Black Butte Porter out of Oregon is one I bought to use in a stew. I took one taste, said screw the stew, and drank the beer instead. Sooo good. It is my go-to favorite now.

I just realized it is brewed in Bend, OR. Case, aka Dirtsailor2003, is from Bend. Probably very familiar with Deschutes.

Usually Stella Artois beer. Or one of their ciders. I will grab a Yuengling Black and Tan. And I'll stock up on Genesee Bock Beer when it hits the market once a year.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Franz Joseph
Tubelbier
IMG_20180411_191230.jpg
IMG_20180411_191255.jpg

This thread is very much like conversations I now have with my wife: "Honey, didn't we just have this same conversation yesterday?"

We've definitely discussed this before, and some of the last posts in some of these threads were made earlier this year.

As one example, this thread started back in 2011, went on for thirteen pages, and people were still posting in it just two months ago:

Favorite Beer

This one started in 2012, and kept going for over two years. It used the plural for "beer," so you could provide more than one answer:

Favorite Beers

This thread we are in started yesterday has gone the other way and restricted the answers to only those beers drunk while smoking, not those drunk watching the game, or the beer you drink when you're drinking more than one. (Remember which beer used that tagline? The answer is pretty obscure.)

I grab whatever I have which is Labatt Blue or something homebrewed but as a certified beer judge I can offer some beer snobbish pairing advice. Ever notice that the first few bites of something are incredible but it kinda wears off? A meal that is properly paired reduces this effect and keeps interest throughout a meal. This is accomplished by cleansing the palette. Generally speaking, smoked food is pretty bold so there for your choice in beers should be similarly bold. Light lagers are not going to cleanse the palette. Craft stuff works well. Pale ales, IPA, but import stuff like German hefe and Belgians do too. Smoked food is also very roasty from smoke and bark so generally you should stay away from dark stuff like porters and stout. That being said, this is not an exact science… IE side dishes like cole slaw can cleanse the palette and then you can drink pretty much whatever. Just wanted to shed some light on it.

If any of you guys like seeking beers out, see if you can find Fatheads Headhunter and/or The Brew Kettle White Rajah. Killer IPAs.
I find IPA's too bitter and are drank by the younger crowd. I realy like APA's, or a goop German pilsner ,I like a good St. Pauli Girl or a Pilsner Urquel My favorite beer to make is a good bready APA. with a nice balanced finish.

Last edited:
I find IPA's too bitter and are drank by the younger crowd. I realy like APA's, or a goop German pilsner ,I like a good St. Pauli Girl or a Pilsner Urquel My favorite beer to make is a good bready APA. with a nice balanced finish.
Yep, IPAs can be a bit over the top and a good pils is also a great option. Radeburger being my current fave.

Mine too - unfortunately I can't buy it in MI. Fortunately, I have relatives in PA, so I cart it back regularly!
Make a quick run into Ohio. Yeungling worked a distribution deal with InBev so you can find it anywhere there is Bud, which is pretty much everywhere.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky