Favorite beer while smoking and/or eating BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Central PA Cowboy

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Oct 10, 2017
Central PA
Since we are all here because we love to smoke different foods, I figured this would be a cool thread. What beer(s) do you enjoy when you are smoking and/eating BBQ?

Can't say I've paired beer and BBQ just yet and I haven't been outside much while smoking since it's been cold, but I can see myself enjoying a few of Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Things this Summer while smoking meat.

Excited to see what you all post.

Not necessarily a tie into bbq but a great beer i discovered last year is Kentucky Vanilla Barrel. It is a very smooth and delicious ale. Same brewery makes a Kentucky bourbon ale too that is great. New Castle and Fat Tire are other favorites of mine. But overall, im a Scotch drinker.
20170729_172641.jpg

I grab whatever I have which is Labatt Blue or something homebrewed but as a certified beer judge I can offer some beer snobbish pairing advice. Ever notice that the first few bites of something are incredible but it kinda wears off? A meal that is properly paired reduces this effect and keeps interest throughout a meal. This is accomplished by cleansing the palette. Generally speaking, smoked food is pretty bold so there for your choice in beers should be similarly bold. Light lagers are not going to cleanse the palette. Craft stuff works well. Pale ales, IPA, but import stuff like German hefe and Belgians do too. Smoked food is also very roasty from smoke and bark so generally you should stay away from dark stuff like porters and stout. That being said, this is not an exact science… IE side dishes like cole slaw can cleanse the palette and then you can drink pretty much whatever. Just wanted to shed some light on it.

If any of you guys like seeking beers out, see if you can find Fatheads Headhunter and/or The Brew Kettle White Rajah. Killer IPAs.

I grab whatever I have which is Labatt Blue or something homebrewed but as a certified beer judge I can offer some beer snobbish pairing advice. Ever notice that the first few bites of something are incredible but it kinda wears off? A meal that is properly paired reduces this effect and keeps interest throughout a meal. This is accomplished by cleansing the palette. Generally speaking, smoked food is pretty bold so there for your choice in beers should be similarly bold. Light lagers are not going to cleanse the palette. Craft stuff works well. Pale ales, IPA, but import stuff like German hefe and Belgians do too. Smoked food is also very roasty from smoke and bark so generally you should stay away from dark stuff like porters and stout. That being said, this is not an exact science… IE side dishes like cole slaw can cleanse the palette and then you can drink pretty much whatever. Just wanted to shed some light on it.

If any of you guys like seeking beers out, see if you can find Fatheads Headhunter and/or The Brew Kettle White Rajah. Killer IPAs.

Head Hunter is nice!

Reactions: zwiller
Well let’s see... Founders All Day IPA is a good one when the weather is warm. More frequently I usually grab some Fat Tire, Sam Adams Boston Lager or their Summer Ale if in season. Blue Moon is another one I like. Miller light is also always kept on hand.

Of course if company stops by to enjoy the Q, beer is never required but often brought... my favorite... free beer!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky