Favorite beer while smoking and/or eating BBQ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My last smoke. I'm usually drinking IPA's or Saisons especially when cooking. Commercial or homebrew. I have ten gallons of homebrew on tap, and a keg is always an IPA or saison haha.
hopliftsmoke.jpg
JSmokedwings.jpg

It seems that the younger crowd really like their IPA's, somehow they think that bitterness is more abv. but I have laughed when I have overheard of someone drinking two Guines stout ( sorry about my spelling) and heard him say how buzzed he was.I didn't have the heart to tell him that it wasn;t any stronger than budweiser.Give me a Hof brau or a Pilsner Urquel. If you do your homework you would find out that when great britan was expanding their colonies they had soldiers in India that wanted beer but by the time the beer got to Indiait it was old and didn't taste good,so they started upping the amounts of hops bc hops are a natural preservative and they developed a hoppier beer that was called India Pale Ale.
That is correct. most are higher ABV but not all. For me if I'm going to pay for craft beer since its more expensive, I'm looking for beers 6% and up. Most of the time 7-8.

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Since we are all here because we love to smoke different foods, I figured this would be a cool thread. What beer(s) do you enjoy when you are smoking and/eating BBQ?

Can't say I've paired beer and BBQ just yet and I haven't been outside much while smoking since it's been cold, but I can see myself enjoying a few of Sierra Nevada's Hazy Little Things this Summer while smoking meat.

Excited to see what you all post.
I'm usually a cider girl (Thatchers Gold) especially if I'm eating pork, but if I were to have a beer it would be a Corona with a wedge of lime... and I don't mind a Guinness and black from time to time, but my go to summer bbq drink is definitely cider :D

It seems that the younger crowd really like their IPA's, somehow they think that bitterness is more abv. but I have laughed when I have overheard of someone drinking two Guines stout ( sorry about my spelling) and heard him say how buzzed he was.I didn't have the heart to tell him that it wasn;t any stronger than budweiser.Give me a Hof brau or a Pilsner Urquel. If you do your homework you would find out that when great britan was expanding their colonies they had soldiers in India that wanted beer but by the time the beer got to Indiait it was old and didn't taste good,so they started upping the amounts of hops bc hops are a natural preservative and they developed a hoppier beer that was called India Pale Ale.

I have to agree with Gwanger!!

The younger crowd seems to be enamored with labels, prices, and suckered in by marketing.

My son is part of the younger crowd but made an observation long ago. He told me that it seems like these micro brewers are in some type of competition to see who can put the most hops in their beer. It only makes their beers taste more and more like medicine! The British have been doing it right for centuries and know how much hops to add to beer. Hops are a preservative. Yes, they do add flavor to beer but like anything else. . . . More is not always better!

Pilsner Urquell, Becks, Grolsch. . . . . Examples of breweries which go back a long time and still are doing it right! Three of my favorites by the way.

Don't get me started on light beers,

John

Last edited:
I'm usually a cider girl (Thatchers Gold) especially if I'm eating pork, but if I were to have a beer it would be a Corona with a wedge of lime... and I don't mind a Guinness and black from time to time, but my go to summer bbq drink is definitely cider :D

I've always wondered what is wrong with a bottled beer that it needs a lime slice put it it to make it safe? :confused:

You want to really shake them up Charlotte, make a pitcher of Sweet Tea. :p

I've always wondered what is wrong with a bottled beer that it needs a lime slice put it it to make it safe? :confused:

You want to really shake them up Charlotte, make a pitcher of Sweet Tea. :p

Is that what the lime is for...
I just like the taste, I love citrus with everything.

I like peach iced tea I will take a look at this 'sweet tea' see if I can't knock up a pitcher of that :D

When I was young, foolish, and too stupid to know better, I drank way too much Coors, and developed an aversion to the brand due to excessive inebriation. However, a couple of years ago we went on a long RV trip and as part of it, stopped at the Coors brewery to take their tour - it was great. We were bussed in from a parking lot because the crowd was so large, and they have a fantastic beer bar at the end of the tour in which you can enjoy a couple of complementary beverages.

To get back on point, I tried Killian's Red which turns out to be a favorite beer of mine, very refreshing on a hot day after doing yard work, and also when doing any kind of hot weather q'ing or grillin'

Is that what the lime is for...
I just like the taste, I love citrus with everything.

I like peach iced tea I will take a look at this 'sweet tea' see if I can't knock up a pitcher of that :D

I believe I used 2 cups of sugar to 3 quarts of unsweetened tea to make it sweet. Basically, just your favorite type of tea (Black tea for me), add sugar and sample until you feel it is sweet enough. I heated the tea, as I was using a ready made jug of tea we had left over. I just added sugar and stirred, tasted, added, stirred... until I like the level of sweetness. (Southern Sweet Tea is Very Sweet)

LOL! I have no idea why everybody, on both sides of the pond, add a wedge of lime to a Corona.
But I have to wonder, if everybody does, why doesn't Corona do it at the factory?
Like the worm in the Mezcal...
I was given a bottle of Mezcal W/worm for my 44 birthday bash. Somewhere in the wee hours I ate the worm. (More just swallowed it really.) Becoming a Worm Warrior.

We Yanks can be quite corrupting... :rolleyes: :)

Reactions: CharlotteLovesFood
I believe I used 2 cups of sugar to 3 quarts of unsweetened tea to make it sweet. Basically, just your favorite type of tea (Black tea for me), add sugar and sample until you feel it is sweet enough. I heated the tea, as I was using a ready made jug of tea we had left over. I just added sugar and stirred, tasted, added, stirred... until I like the level of sweetness. (Southern Sweet Tea is Very Sweet)

LOL! I have no idea why everybody, on both sides of the pond, add a wedge of lime to a Corona.
But I have to wonder, if everybody does, why doesn't Corona do it at the factory?
Like the worm in the Mezcal...
I was given a bottle of Mezcal W/worm for my 44 birthday bash. Somewhere in the wee hours I ate the worm. (More just swallowed it really.) Becoming a Worm Warrior.

We Yanks can be quite corrupting... :rolleyes: :)

I might try green tea.
Oh dear that does not sound good, hope it's not still in there somewhere haha

Why does one add lime to Corona? It simply tastes good. I thought it was a little odd to until I tried it. There's actually a trick to do it right.

There's is also a trick to making proper sweet tea. Use a pinch of baking soda to counteract the acidity of the tea leaves.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky