Farmers Market

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 21, 2019
Ottawa, ON
One of my all time favourite things on this earth, is a good Farmers market! I’m blessed to have an amazing market near me that runs all summer and fall.

I love getting up early on Saturday, and going to the market by myself before the big crowds arrive. Over the years, I’ve gotten to know some of the farmers, the bakers, the cheese mongers, and (shamelessly out of place) the Thai family selling springs rolls, mango sticky rice, and pad Thai.... yes, that’s usually my breakfast on Sat. Lol

My haul this morning, and a lucky kijiji score too! A brand new Weber Smokeyjoe for $30

Attachments

• ECD88B55-6345-4698-A8C3-86911F9949FF.jpeg
    ECD88B55-6345-4698-A8C3-86911F9949FF.jpeg
    215.9 KB · Views: 67
Great looking haul PB! Your Thai breakfast has my mouth watering.

We used to go to one of four farmer's markets in our area, even driving 40 minutes to get to a huge one each Sunday under the freeway close to downtown Sacramento. One fruit farmer watched our kids grow up, and always gave them plums. He retired and we all miss him.

Lately, everyone is claiming they are organic, trippling their prices. Same vendors, same wares. If it were only true.

We still go on occasion for the experience. Might have to go tomorrow! Thanks for sharing.

Lately, everyone is claiming they are organic, trippling their prices. Same vendors, same wares. If it were only true.

If I remember correctly, it might actually be illegal here to claim "organic" when it's actually not.

There is another "market" (and I use that term loosely for this particular location) that is all full of scam artists claiming to be local farmers selling local produce.

I'm sorry, but those bananas and mangoes are NOT grown here in Canada, and the corn on the cob "picked this morning" is a lie, corn won't be ready until end of Aug. And trying to fool anyone with cucumbers still individually packaged in plastic with stickers on them, just like at the grocery store....is a shame.

So glad they are slowly losing business after an investigation last year.

Nice score! I'm lucky to have to have two markets running right now in "The Boro". I want to see some pics of that Tomahawk on your new kettle!

Nice score! I'm lucky to have to have two markets running right now in "The Boro". I want to see some pics of that Tomahawk on your new kettle!

It’s too big to go on there, it’s just the 14” Smokey Joe. I’ll be doing the steak on the WSM then to the grill for a reverse sear.

Saw some of the "handle" off that steak and it will fit. No better way to break in your new kettle!

Don’t worry, this baby will still get a golden treatment to break her in.
How about with chicken wings and sausages? :) because that’s what I have planned, lol.

We have two great ones in our area----Quakertown Farmer's Market and Zern's in Gilbertsville.
In fact I got my first Part Time Job at the Quakertown Farmer's Market when I was in 5th Grade---Unloading Watermelon Trucks @ 50¢ an hour, plus we could eat what we dropped, so naturally these three 5th graders unionized & the hotter it got out the more often we'd accidentally drop one, and we only dropped the ripest Melons!!

Bear

We have a great farmers market here in Hamilton. Always enjoy wandering around and buying food for whatever we feel like having for the next few days.

Almost every Saturday, like today, the wife and I are helping out at a friends booth at the San Francisco Farmer's market at the Ferry building. Most of us are fishing buddies, so we bring lots of smoked meats to share, etc. Very fun indeed.

Reactions: Fueling Around
I usually go to our local farmers market every Saturday morning. A buddy of mine has a stand there. I picked up a couple racks of Berkshire spare ribs for a future smoke. A couple weeks ago I picked up some of the Iowa cut Berkshire pork chops to try. Delicious.

I'm very fortunate. My farmers market is in my backyard! Mom has always had a garden here on the family farm and me and the wife help as much as we can. In fact, me and mom were digging potatoes yesterday and my porch thermometer read 102! And mom is in her upper 70's! Still can outwork most men!

Nice score on the grill!

Last edited:
When I still lived in St. Louis county , had a neighbor that the Dad still had part of the family farm . Now surrounded by sub divisions . I'd be out cutting the grass , they would stop , " going to Dad's you want some corn ? " . Sweet deal . They would come back with corn and tomatoes . Not a farmers market , but fresh picked and delivered .

We've got 2 farmer's markets in town. The city controlled one has a mix of local growers. The independent one is from local German Anabaptist (not sure if they are Mennonite or Hutterite) growers. Both have a great selection of products.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky