• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Farmers Market

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2019
One of my all time favourite things on this earth, is a good Farmers market! I’m blessed to have an amazing market near me that runs all summer and fall.

I love getting up early on Saturday, and going to the market by myself before the big crowds arrive. Over the years, I’ve gotten to know some of the farmers, the bakers, the cheese mongers, and (shamelessly out of place) the Thai family selling springs rolls, mango sticky rice, and pad Thai.... yes, that’s usually my breakfast on Sat. Lol

My haul this morning, and a lucky kijiji score too! A brand new Weber Smokeyjoe for $30

Attachments

millerbuilds

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined May 13, 2013
That is awesome! We moved to Texas 6 years ago and there are not the farmers markets like we had in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I miss a "real" farmers market!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

noboundaries

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Great looking haul PB! Your Thai breakfast has my mouth watering.

We used to go to one of four farmer's markets in our area, even driving 40 minutes to get to a huge one each Sunday under the freeway close to downtown Sacramento. One fruit farmer watched our kids grow up, and always gave them plums. He retired and we all miss him.

Lately, everyone is claiming they are organic, trippling their prices. Same vendors, same wares. If it were only true.

We still go on occasion for the experience. Might have to go tomorrow! Thanks for sharing.

texomakid

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Aug 6, 2017
It looks fake! That's some nice looking produce. My wife would go wild over that.

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2019
Lately, everyone is claiming they are organic, trippling their prices. Same vendors, same wares. If it were only true.
If I remember correctly, it might actually be illegal here to claim "organic" when it's actually not.

There is another "market" (and I use that term loosely for this particular location) that is all full of scam artists claiming to be local farmers selling local produce.

I'm sorry, but those bananas and mangoes are NOT grown here in Canada, and the corn on the cob "picked this morning" is a lie, corn won't be ready until end of Aug. And trying to fool anyone with cucumbers still individually packaged in plastic with stickers on them, just like at the grocery store....is a shame.

So glad they are slowly losing business after an investigation last year.

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
Nice score! I'm lucky to have to have two markets running right now in "The Boro". I want to see some pics of that Tomahawk on your new kettle!

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2019
Nice score! I'm lucky to have to have two markets running right now in "The Boro". I want to see some pics of that Tomahawk on your new kettle!
It’s too big to go on there, it’s just the 14” Smokey Joe. I’ll be doing the steak on the WSM then to the grill for a reverse sear.

5GRILLZNTN

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 12, 2018
Saw some of the "handle" off that steak and it will fit. No better way to break in your new kettle!

PoukieBear

Meat Mopper
Joined May 21, 2019
Saw some of the "handle" off that steak and it will fit. No better way to break in your new kettle!
Don’t worry, this baby will still get a golden treatment to break her in.
How about with chicken wings and sausages? :) because that’s what I have planned, lol.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
We have two great ones in our area----Quakertown Farmer's Market and Zern's in Gilbertsville.
In fact I got my first Part Time Job at the Quakertown Farmer's Market when I was in 5th Grade---Unloading Watermelon Trucks @ 50¢ an hour, plus we could eat what we dropped, so naturally these three 5th graders unionized & the hotter it got out the more often we'd accidentally drop one, and we only dropped the ripest Melons!!

Bear

Ben58

Joined Aug 2, 2018
We have a great farmers market here in Hamilton. Always enjoy wandering around and buying food for whatever we feel like having for the next few days.

GaryHibbert

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 20, 2013
That's quite a haul!!
Our farmer's market isn't worth going to--it's more of a flee market. Sigh.
Gary

cmayna

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 23, 2012
Almost every Saturday, like today, the wife and I are helping out at a friends booth at the San Francisco Farmer's market at the Ferry building. Most of us are fishing buddies, so we bring lots of smoked meats to share, etc. Very fun indeed.

Boocephus

Joined Mar 2, 2019
I usually go to our local farmers market every Saturday morning. A buddy of mine has a stand there. I picked up a couple racks of Berkshire spare ribs for a future smoke. A couple weeks ago I picked up some of the Iowa cut Berkshire pork chops to try. Delicious.

Mofatguy

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 31, 2019
I'm very fortunate. My farmers market is in my backyard! Mom has always had a garden here on the family farm and me and the wife help as much as we can. In fact, me and mom were digging potatoes yesterday and my porch thermometer read 102! And mom is in her upper 70's! Still can outwork most men!

Nice score on the grill!

Last edited:

chopsaw

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
When I still lived in St. Louis county , had a neighbor that the Dad still had part of the family farm . Now surrounded by sub divisions . I'd be out cutting the grass , they would stop , " going to Dad's you want some corn ? " . Sweet deal . They would come back with corn and tomatoes . Not a farmers market , but fresh picked and delivered .

Fueling Around

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 10, 2018
We've got 2 farmer's markets in town. The city controlled one has a mix of local growers. The independent one is from local German Anabaptist (not sure if they are Mennonite or Hutterite) growers. Both have a great selection of products.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying! (But that's how we keep the lights on.)

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks