Falling off the bone!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Do these ribs look good enough to eat???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Possibly

• Wrap them up and overnight them to me!

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buddha65281

Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
Hey, I am cooking some ribs today and I am confused... Are they SUPPOSED to just fall off the bone??? LOL

I did make one HUGE mistake and I will NEVER do it again!

DO NOT USE (or use sparingly) CREOLE seasoning as it is 25% sodium (SALT), messed my whole sh** up and after the first hour of cooking I just used the apple juice and some paper towels to clean all my seasoning off and reseasoned. I hope they are not ruined, the salt was over bearing and I can see me wasting 60+ dollars on ribs..

But, wish me luck. I have cooked 5 times and this time is the ONLY time that my ribs literally fell OFF the bone. I could barely transfer them from the aluminum foil to the rack for the last 1hr.

HG,

Buddha65281

Last edited:
Its the contention in the BBQ world that ribs that fall off the bone are overcooked.  I myself agree.  I like a rib that is tender and PULLS easily off the bone with just the slightest tug.  To me, ribs that fall off the bone are a bit mushy.

But what really matters is how YOU like them.

If they are too fall of the bone back off on the middle number I do about 1.5 in foil 

Yeah, I agree with the other guys..... a bit overcooked. Meat tends to be mushy with no texture. But again...if thats what YOU are shooting for you did good.

It was the first time they did that, they tasted GREAT and we plenty moist. I do believe that next time I do 1.5 in foil...

Thanks!

I did notice that they didn't have enough smoke like the first ribs I did, wonder why that was? I use charcoal to start and then wood the rest of the time. I will say that the temp was much more controllable with bigger chunks of wood though. It stayed right around 220 the whole time.. getting the hang of this...

Next time 3,1.5.1

Thanks!!!!

Buddha65281

Every cook is a learning experience. Ribs is as much as how they look and bend as anything else as far as finish time. Note how far the meat has pulled back from the bone? Assuming you had a flush cut meat and bone on the ends, that pullback seems a bit too much. You also have to try to gauge your cook on the size of the ribs. Smaller ones render out quicker than large ones. As for smoke, if you want more leave them on the smoker unfoiled a bit longer and then shorten your foil time. You get there before you know it, and you'll be smoking like a pro in no time.

personally I like them so you can just pull the meat off the bone, and so does anyone who I have ever talked to in person.  seams just to be internet people who like to fight with there meat.

Steve

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky