First time beef ribs for the first cook on new MB 800

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
They were not as tender as I thought they should be. That could be from the cut or maybe letting it ride longer?
Kinda hard to say but it sounds like you may have pulled them a bit too soon. I tend to mix up a baste and mop them every hour or so after the 4 hour mark. I don't know if the baste helps with tenderness but it does seem to help with moisture content. Don't give up though. It's brisket on a stick and needs to be cooked the same way...a long, long time till melted butter tenderness. I'd guess that pretty much any cut, if cooked long enough, can be made tender so I'd rule out the cut first and take a stab at cooking a bit longer. Outside of that, from a visual perspective, it looks like you nailed them.

Robert

Kinda hard to say but it sounds like you may have pulled them a bit too soon. I tend to mix up a baste and mop them every hour or so after the 4 hour mark. I don't know if the baste helps with tenderness but it does seem to help with moisture content. Don't give up though. It's brisket on a stick and needs to be cooked the same way...a long, long time till melted butter tenderness. I'd guess that pretty much any cut, if cooked long enough, can be made tender so I'd rule out the cut first and take a stab at cooking a bit longer. Outside of that, from a visual perspective, it looks like you nailed them.

Robert
Taste was great and it was juicy. I did spritz with beer a few times. I still have another rack to do again.

Taste was great and it was juicy. I did spritz with beer a few times. I still have another rack to do again
If you've got all that dialed in I'd say just cook the next ones a bit longer or until they probe more tender than this batch. There should be virtually no resistance when you stab them with a toothpick.

Robert

If you've got all that dialed in I'd say just cook the next ones a bit longer or until they probe more tender than this batch. There should be virtually no resistance when you stab them with a toothpick.

Robert
I might put the left over ribs I have into the oven at like 200 or 225 for a couple hours as a test tonight?

Some good looking beef ribs bud. As far as rendering fat goes I smoked a slab about the size of yours at the same temp last week......took 9hr. But the results were virtually no fat when finished

Some good looking beef ribs bud. As far as rendering fat goes I smoked a slab about the size of yours at the same temp last week......took 9hr. But the results were virtually no fat when finished
Thanks, these were on for 7 hours, I guess I need to get the feel for what probe tender actually is...lol

Thanks, these were on for 7 hours, I guess I need to get the feel for what probe tender actually is...lol
I understand. I almost pulled mine earlier but something told me to be patient. Good thing about beef ribs are they are almost impossible to over cook

How did it taste coming off the MB compared to other methods? Thinking about gettin me one of these.
First time I have cooked beef ribs, I would think these would taste just like they came off a kettle with chunks and that is a profile I like.

Reactions: 912smoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky