First cook on the new stick burner!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin james

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 30, 2012
Sacramento, CA
This Saturday I took delivery of a brand new pit, a 24x48 Blue Smoke Smoker by Big Phil's smokers. It was delivered at 6PM Saturday, so I did the burn out/Seasoning that night, and got up super early at 5:30AM Sunday to do the first cook.

First thing was a biscuit test which I always recommend for a brand new pit. Then on with the food, which included a brisket, a rack of full spare ribs, and a Texas style boneless Turkey Breast. Everything came out great, especially for a first cook on a new pit I wasn't used to. Definitely a few things I will do differently next time, but overall I was extremely happy with the results. Pit temps ranged from 230-325, while I was shooting for 275. I think the cure for that will be thinner splits and adding more often next time, but I will just need to play with it to figure out what this pit likes.

Brisket went on at 8:15AM, Ribs went on at 12:00 Noon, and Turkey breast at 2:00PM. Ribs got a wrapped at 5:30 and were done by 6PM, Turkey Breast got wrapped with butter at 6:00PM and was done by 6;30PM, and the brisket got foil boated at 6:00PM and was done by 7:30PM. Ribs and Turkey were dinner, so they got a short rest, and were sliced and plated. The brisket was for dinner Monday, so it got rested down for 2 hours to stop any carry-over cooking, then got vac sealed and in to a sous vide bath at 141 for an overnight rest, which I do with all my briskets. The brisket was pulled out last night around 6:30PM and was sliced for dinner.

I was very happy with how everything turned out. The ribs were juicy and super tender, not fall off the bone, but pull off the bone with a clean bite. The turkey was super juicy and flavorful as well. The brisket was the star of the show though. It was pulled at 197 IT before it's rest, and it came out to the perfect tenderness. If it would have gone any longer it would have been over done. It was super juicy as well, and this was a Choice grade, not a Prime, because I can't get Prime at my local Costco anymore.

Anyways, here are the pictures!

Big-Phil-s-Blue-Smoke-Smoker-Pic-1.jpg

Big-Phil-s-Blue-Smoke-Smoker-Pic-2.jpg

First_Brisket_BSS_Trimmed_Fat_Up.jpg

First_Brisket_BSS_Trimmed_Fat_Down.jpg

First-Brisket-BSS-Rubbed.jpg

First-Brisket-BSS-On-the-Pit.jpg

Ribs.jpg

Turkey.jpg

Boated_Brisket_(2).jpg

Bagged_Brisket.jpg

Brisket_on_the_Board.jpg

Brisket_Flat_Slices.jpg

Brisket_Point.jpg

Brisket_Sliced.jpg

Brisket_Point_&_Flat_Slices.jpg

Bend_Test.jpg

Wow!!! You really put it to the test your first smoke session 👍👍. Looks to be a Huge Success and the smoker sure is beautiful 👍👍. What rub are you using on your Brisket?
Thanks

Reactions: kevin james
Wow!!! You really put it to the test your first smoke session 👍👍. Looks to be a Huge Success and the smoker sure is beautiful 👍👍. What rub are you using on your Brisket?
Thanks
I use 16 mesh course black pepper, kosher salt, and a little Lawry's, all applied separately. Heavy on the pepper, lite on the kosher salt and Lawry's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky