1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Excited!!!!

Discussion in 'For New Members' started by HarleySmoker417, Aug 31, 2018.

1. I have ordered the last of the needed parts for a UDS that friend is building me for a Bday present. this will be my first serious smoker so I have a few Questions about when I get it.

he is recycling the drum and burning it out three times, do I still need to season it when I get it?

do you really get a "taste" from Briquettes?

what should I smoke first? I have a picnic shoulder in the freezer or should I go by a Butt to smoke first...... that is probably the most important question of them all ;)

wish me Luck!!

2. SonnyE

SonnyE Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yes, I would still clean it, then season it with the wood you are most apt to use. (IE: Hickory in my case.)

Never ate a brickette. But if you do, I would imagine you'd get a taste you wouldn't like.

Treat it like a woman. Shoulders first, then approach the butt. Clear enough? ;)

3. oldsmokerdude

oldsmokerdude Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Sonny is right....clean, clean, clean it then season it. I personnally would start with something a little less expensive to teeth on......chicken thighs or turkey breast. That said, I think the butt is better than a shoulder to start with as there is more fat to render.

4. Got it... give her a good scrub down, give her a good warm up then work towards the butt. :D

Hank R likes this.
  5. SonnyE

...But keep you mouth and tongue away when she's hot... :eek:

HarleySmoker417 likes this.
  6. flatbroke

flatbroke Master of the Pit OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Don’t mount it either. May roast the wrong wiener

HarleySmoker417 likes this.
  7. Follow up question

I know you can use it on a offset smoker but can you use butcher paper on a UDS?

8. SonnyE

You're supposed to use the Butcher Paper on the meat, not the smoker. ;)

9. meatallica

meatallica Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Yep, you can use butcher paper on UDS