ET-732 issues - how many other people have seen this?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, I gave it another shot last night.  I'm pretty sure the 732 was working MOST of the time, but there's definitely a problem with the probe.  At one point it jumped from 227 down to 217, then immediately went back up and started climbing to 280, while the dome temp barely moved and showed about 190.  The mav and dome temps were pretty consistently about 30 degrees apart (the dome showing lower) up until that point, and then somehow they both went wacky and the dome temp dropped 10-15 and the maverick skyrocketed.

I know I probably shouldn't be using the thermapen for this, but I stuck it in the vent for a minute to get a reading and decided to trust it more than the others; and it was smack dab in the middle at 240.  eventually the dome temp started registering a number that made that 240 believable so I decided to go with that... then out of nowhere the maverick jumped down from 280 to 240.  From that point on (only an hour or so into the cook), the maverick seemed to be reading correctly...but man, that could have gone bad again if it wasn't for the thermapen!

Ribs came out perfect though, everyone loved em :)  Hopefully the more practice I get the less I will have to rely on gadgets- or at least the better I'll be at knowing when they're off!

Scooper, the only problem I had with the pit probe was that I let it get gunked up once. (technical term there)  I will chalk that up to operator error.

Since then I carefully keep it reasonably clean and it works fine.

The meat probe was another story.

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky