Dug up my Taters today....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke farmer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Tulsa Oklahoma
Got these out of my 2010 Garden Today

90ea6cf5_100_0630.jpg

Now I have to figure out some way to preserve some of them for this winter.

wow that is sweet. As far as preservation, my grandfather was a farmer.  He always kept the potatoes in the cellar in wood bins off the ground covered in lime, and they lasted all winter long.  Also keep them in the dark, that will keep them from sprouting.

Last edited:
wow that is sweet. As far as preservation, my grandfather was a farmer.  He always kept the potatoes in the cellar in wood bins off the ground covered in lime, and they lasted all winter long.  Also keep them in the dark, that will keep them from sprouting.
Just like a good woman. Keep her dry & in the dark, and she'll keep all Winter---Hopefully she won't sprout either!
biggrin.gif

Nice lookin' Taters too!!!!

Bearcarver

Last edited:
Thanks we had a cellar when I was growing up in Michigan and we kept our taters in there,but I now live in Tulsa Oklahoma an basements and cellar's are none existent,Think I am going to try and can some of them and see how they turn out.

Nice , Now all you need is a few sacks of crawfish

cool.gif

Now thats quite the haul of taters there Smoke Farmer dude. Now your just afew days later for the throwdown thou. Oh well but they looks like you will be eating taters in alot of good menus very soon. Cause after all you have boiled taters, fried taters, stewed potatoes, tater salad, and tater queshe, tater and stewed tomoates and onions an peppers. we are having that tonight

I planted them on April 1st so 93 days I think,I just dug furrows and planted them about 18 inches apart and just kept dirt pulled up to the plants .

Yea Mballi will be using all kinds of ways.Will be making some smoked fry's tomorrow to go with dogs and burgers.

Last edited:
Beautiful potatoes! I love the reds, they have such a great flavor, great job and thanks for sharing!

Those are some great looking taters - Just in case you have never tried it

Quarter the taters and put them into a baking dish with several cloves of garlic that are just peeled not cut and a couple of sprigs of rosemary and sprinkle some olive oil and salt over them and bake at 350 for about 45 min - an hour - very tasty

As far as I have been told, you have to use a pressure cooker to can potatoes as they do not contain enough acid to pressurize themselves with a hot bath. I have not does this as  have a cellar and put my taters there. I have also heard that planting your taters in the fall/winter in October/November utilizing some straw/mulch in the trench with them will keep them warm using the heat they generate themselves. Here's a couple sites I've read a bit into. Have not tried this yet myself. Got to busy this fall with other things. The third is the most interesting to me.

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/2006/fall_patatoes.htm

http://www.suburbanhobbyfarmer.com/planting-potatoes-in-fall-2/

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/williams48.html

I tried to can some taters this year and they come out like paste now when i cook them. also a few jars lost the water in them.  Can anyone give some insight on what i did wrong or what the proper way is to can them and then reheat them for soups or mashed..

thanks

Alex

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky