Help stuffing boudin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

duckybud

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 17, 2011
Virginia Illinois
I made some boudin yesterday, mixed and
stored in fridge overnight. Set up my stuffer today and can't get it to go through the stuffer. I' trying to use 29-32 mm casings, are these too small?

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Never done a true boudin but have done sausages with rice in them. If the mass won’t flow you need to add moisture to loosen it up. Not runny but it can’t be sticky and dry or it won’t flow.

Casing size should be good to go. As stated, if your batter won't come through the horn, it needs loosened up with some liquid.

Also, what size horn are you using? A 3/4 inch is what I use for casings that size.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Yep...Crankybuzzard is correct. Also, let the boudin warm up a little and it'll be easier to stuff. Might need more moisture as well. I have never had problems stuffing boudin, but I have my recipe and process all dialed in.

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I'm new to the group, but make a lot of sausages, including boudin, and have always stuffed when mixture is warm. Your issue was the hardening of your mixture due to being cold. Hardest part when I was first starting was not having bunch of blowouts because the meat comes out so much easier than cold meat.

I'm new to the group, but make a lot of sausages, including boudin, and have always stuffed when mixture is warm. Your issue was the hardening of your mixture due to being cold. Hardest part when I was first starting was not having bunch of blowouts because the meat comes out so much easier than cold meat.
The blowout issue is real with warm fillings moving faster than normal. Great info and welcome to the SMFs!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky