Dry Sausage Help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gooden123

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 29, 2017
Hey all,

Are there any remedies for cooking homemade sausage in sheep casings that are dry? Wrap in fatty bacon, maybe? I tried sous vide 150* for 45 mins to sample and it's pretty much chalk. Going to be made appetizer style. Thanks!

*I think I know where I went wrong making the sausage itself. Pork shoulder wasn't fatty enough and didn't add any backfat. Other than that for 5# meat I had 1/2 c + 2 tbsp liquid (50/50 lime juice/ice water and 2 tbsp fish sauce). 6mm grind stuffed in sheep. Everything kept about 36* start to finish.

Last edited:
Most pork butt should have 25 - 30% fat on it and be perfect. Did you buy it trimmed first? Is so, that is the problem. I made some that was 13% once and it was clumpy and dry.

Well I'm going out on a limb here for an idea but..

Why not just do it up like cocktail weenies if it's for an App? Serve them in some sauce. Nothing to elaborate, just enough to add a little more flavour and help keep them moist? Otherwise, I'd say save the batch that is to dry for stew..

Oh! Why not use it in a sausage dip?

Reactions: Preacher Man
Archeryrob yes it was trimmed. That is the most probable problem but I'm just trying to save it.

Thanks TomKnollRFV. Yeah I had no actual plans as to how I was going to serve it so that will all probably work!

Look for an Asian Market. Mae Ploy makes a tasty Thai Sweet Chile Dipping Sauce. In the Asian section of grocery store you may find the Thai Kitchen brand. Not bad but the Mae Ploy is better. Add a side of Hot Mustard too. Mix equal parts Mustard Powder, Cole man's is best but McCormick is ok, and Water. Let rest to develop full heat. Warn guests, a little goes A LONG WAY!...JJ

Nepas, is right, adding an acid to raw meat can cause all kinds of undesirable things to happen.
And of course keep the fat level 20% or more and maybe consider a binder. If you want the flavor of
the lime in your sausage consider marinating the links after they have been cooked.

Cal

Hank makes some dang good sausages.
IMHO i would have used the lime juice with the soaking water for the casings, but that just me.

Nepas that is a great idea! Flavor wise this is one of my favorites from Hank. I like ginger, garlic and chilies. So next time if I were to do as you said, would you just replace the 1/4 c lime juice in the grind with some other liquid (all ice water for that matter)?

Nepas that is a great idea! Flavor wise this is one of my favorites from Hank. I like ginger, garlic and chilies. So next time if I were to do as you said, would you just replace the 1/4 c lime juice in the grind with some other liquid (all ice water for that matter)?
I would say yes, just replace the liquid with either cold water or ice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky