Dog bell's palsy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Could not get into regular vet Friday so took another. They said though inner ear infection. Yellow stuff coming from drool all weekend thought bad infection some where. Got into regular vet today and she has what they call bell's palsy in humans. One side of face is parallelized. She can' t blink is the worse part. Gonna need constant eye drops. I gone 10 hours a day for work which gonna make it tough. Anyone been through this with a dog?

• Sad
Reactions: JC in GB
No , not that , but other things . That sucks though . Is there a GSD group in your area ? Maybe reach out to them . Might be someone that has info on what to expect real life wise .
Good luck with it .

I haven't experienced that with a pooch, but I wish your dog (and your family) the best during this time.

Dave

My wife has been an R.V.T (Registered Veterinary Technician) for over 35yrs, she has seen this several times.
She just told me that even with the eye drops most of the dogs end up getting corneal ulcers which can cause blindness if not treated. Even with treatment an eye or eyes that can't blink are likely to go blind at some point.

Talk with your Vet. ask them to tell you everything and how likely it is that the dog lives a healthy, happy life after getting this.

Sorry man, that really stinks.
Dan

Our cat got corneal ulcers in one eye. Never found out the cause. But the end result was having the eye removed. He lived another 9 healthy years. Pets rebound very well to these things. I know you have a tough choice to make. I'm sorry to hear this.

It does stink, I'm so sorry for you and your dog. Know what to expect, there's more info out there.RAY

Really sorry to hear of such trouble. I too, would be really upset if one of my Boys developed this issue. Best wishes for recovery or successful management...JJ

My Best to your Dog, Brian!!
Bear Jr had a Newfi for 12 years. His eyes used to drop down behind the skin below, and they had to give him a pill that would tighten things up & put them back up where they belong.
Now he has a Chocolate Lab who has Epilepsy. Meds are making his seizures shorter & less often.

Bear

Vet call and said she has low thyroid but has to send out and retest. This could have some to what happened. We been through a lot since I had her and many thousands of dollars.

Sad to hear this Brian. I hope they figure out what's causing this and can treat it immediately.

Chris

So sorry to hear! Never had to deal with it with a dog, but had it myself and it wasn't any fun, wore an eye patch for awhile. Did have a red dobie that lost an eye at a year old, lived to be 12 when we had to put her to sleep from other health issues. Of the 3 dogs we had at the time she had the best nose of all of them! Best wishes for you...they are truly family members

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky